Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rafael del Valle <rv...@privaz.io.INVALID> on 2021/03/24 09:33:17 UTC

Re: RE: Virutal Router MTU

Hi Alex,

In our particular use case the Public Network is an SD WAN and we have a requirement of slightly smaller MTU than the standard 1500.

I have assumed that our traffic will be encapsulated into something else before delivery, I guess that is the reason for the requirement.

What would be the easier way to add support for MTU tunning on VRs?

I would be to contribute and implement it.

Regards,

Hi R,

RE: RE: RE: Virutal Router MTU

Posted by Alex Mattioli <Al...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Rafael,

I've had very similar issues in the past, with SSL and TLS so playing well with fragmentation.
It is the same use case indeed, in that case I needed jumbo frames for a certain network.

I believe this should be implemented per-network, as a setting applied when the network is created (but editable and applied when the network is restarted with clean-up).

I'll consult with my colleagues what's the best way forward and get back to you.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: RE: RE: Virutal Router MTU

Posted by Rafael del Valle <rv...@privaz.io.INVALID>.
Hi Alex,

Re: RE: RE: Virutal Router MTU

Posted by Rafael del Valle <rv...@privaz.io.INVALID>.
Hi Alex,

We are asked to set MTU 1400. I don't really know the particular vendor behind the SDWAN solution. I will ask.

I see your point. I will run some analysis and let you know what I see.

The thing is that in the past we run OpenNebula in this environment, we managed to ignore the requirement successfully for some time until we realized that networking issues required the setting.

I have reviewed my notes and I can only find a commit on some scripts stating its need and setting it. (a workaround similar to yours, to patch the VRs). But now I don't remember exactly which use case triggered the networking issues. Would be very nice to have an issue to reproduce.

I will look into this a bit more and get back to you.
Regards,
Rafael

OK I will let you know how it goes.

RE: RE: Virutal Router MTU