Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Steve Belt <sb...@velos.com> on 2000/03/08 05:20:28 UTC

Cannot open .xml file (or maybe .xsl file?)

I have installed Cocoon 1.7 on my Win98 system running Apache 1.3.9. I am
using Tomcat as my Servlet Engine. I have installed a file c:\program
files\Apache Group\tomcat\webpages\appointments.xml. There is a file called
calendar.xsl in the same directory. My xml header is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="//localhost/calendar.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<appointments>

I try to open http://localhost/appointments.xml, and I get the following
error. I have been able to use Cocoon using one of the other producers, but
have yet to successfully use the file producer.

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\tomcat\webpages\org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon (The system cannot find the
file specified)
 at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:68)
 at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:99)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.producer.ProducerFromFile.getStream(ProducerFromFile.java:
77)
 at
org.apache.cocoon.producer.AbstractProducer.getDocument(AbstractProducer.jav
a:95)
 at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java, Compiled Code)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServiceInvocationHandler.method(ServletWrapper.java:6
26)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleInvocation(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:378)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.Context.handleRequest(Context.java:644)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:440)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:144)
 at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(TcpEndpoint.java:304)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Which file is it not finding? .xml or .xsl? Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve B.

Re: Cannot open .xml file (or maybe .xsl file?)

Posted by Steve Belt <sb...@velos.com>.
Thanks a million Michel! I also had read this requirement in the FAQ, and
downloaded the latest Tomcat, but I guess I did not have a late enough
"milestone" build. That sure did the trick!

Thanks again,
Steve B.

Posted by Alexandre Liduena <al...@docimsol.com>.
  Thanks for your help, Michel, I succeed this in morning with my
Cocoon/Linux installation, but the problem was really different, I
think.

  Here was my approach :
    - 1) As access to /Cocoon.xml produced "file not found" problem in
spite of ApJServAction set properly, I upgrate my apache installation
from 1.3.9 to 1.3.12,
    - 2) I upgrated xalan jar from 0.19.4 to 0.20.0 to resolve "XAlan
transformer not found" exception,
    - 3) I kept all my servlets configuration files correctly set up.

  Regards,

  Alexandre Liduena.

--
(°-  Computers are just like air conditionners : they -°)
//\  stop working properly when you open Windows.     /\\

Re: Cannot open .xml file (or maybe .xsl file?)

Posted by Michel Lehon <na...@hotmail.com>.
From: Alexandre Liduena <al...@docimsol.com>
[SNIP problem (and solution) for Cocoon with Tomcat 3.0]

>   As I posted one week ago ( and have had no answer until now ), I
> encountered exactly the same error,
> http://localhost/mount_point_to_servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon file
> not found using Apache 1.3.9 and Apache JServ 1.1
>
>   As I have no experience in Cocoon ( but some in servlets ), could your
> experience help me in this way ?

I can give it a try but you don't provide much information...
And I missed your post one week ago (must have been in a hurry...).

The setup I use for demos seems close to yours (I use Tomcat for testing
only, JServ for everything else)
JServ1.1, Apache 1.3.12 (I have used 1.3.9 before), JDK1.2.2, Win NT4/Win
98, Cocoon 1.7, Xalan 0.19.5, Xerces 1.0.1
(I have just switched to Xerces 1.0.2 with Xalan 0.20.0 in my development
setup)

Be sure to check the installation docs to see if everything is setup ok (I
suppose you did that already ?).

If it still does not work check this:
you should have in jserv.conf

ApJServAction .xml   /servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon

/servlet being your mount point.
the line is in the default file, just remove the comment in from of it.

check your classpath in jserv.properties
it should contain:
jsdk.jar (version 2.0 since it is the only one supported by JServ)
cocoon.jar (should be in the classpath not in the repository of your zone)
xerces.jar (see my previous post for version matching between xalan and
xerces).
xalan.jar
fop.jar (optional).

and in the properties for your zone (zone.properties for the default one)
you must have something like this:
servlet.org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initArgs=properties=x:\path_to\cocoon.prope
rties

that should get you further.
if it still does not work send more information about you configuration and
the exact error you get.
That's the best I can do for the momement.

Posted by Steve Belt <sb...@velos.com>.
This is the exact behavior I _was_ esperiencing: the first line of the error
gives an OS-type path but ends with a .jar-type path. I fixed my installtion
when,as suggested by Michel, I downloaded Tomcat 3.1Milestone-1 at
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1_m1/bin/jakarta-tomcat.z
ip.  I also downloaded the
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1_m1/bin/win32/i386/Apach
eJserveModule.dll directly into my [path to apache server]/modules folder.

Oh, another good piece of advice someone once gave me - whenever you update
your cocoon.jar file, also get the CocoonResources.properties file
distributed with it. It couldn't hurt.

If this does not do it, let me know and I will post my server.xml, web.xml,
and tomcat.conf files.

Steve B.

Posted by Alexandre Liduena <al...@docimsol.com>.

Posted by Michel Lehon <na...@hotmail.com>.
> I have installed Cocoon 1.7 on my Win98 system running Apache 1.3.9. I am
> using Tomcat as my Servlet Engine.
[SNIP]

> I try to open http://localhost/appointments.xml, and I get the following
> error. I have been able to use Cocoon using one of the other producers,
but
> have yet to successfully use the file producer.
>
> java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\Apache
> Group\tomcat\webpages\org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon (The system cannot find the
> file specified)
[SNIP]