Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Soosai, Lourdhu Vasanth" <Lo...@aetna.com> on 2003/04/22 15:37:00 UTC

RE: namespace

i get a org.w3c.dom.DOMException: DOM003 Namespace error
when i try to set a name space prefix.

this is the snippet .
	Document d ;//d is initialised

	org.w3c.dom.Attr at
=d.createAttributeNS("http://mydomain","yyy");
			org.w3c.dom.Element e =dm.createElement("name");
			e.setAttributeNodeNS(at);
			e.setPrefix("yyy");
			dm.appendChild(e);

 am i missing something here?

 this is my expected xml
			<yyy:name
xmlns:yyy="http://mydomain.com/xml/spec">
				<add> some add</add>
			 	<age>25</age>

thx
vasanth

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you
think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by
reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.  Thank you.  Aetna

RE: namespace

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
Hi vasanth,

Are you aware that the "createAttributeNS" method does not create a
"namespace", but creates an attribute (a name/value pair that exists
within an element) that happens to *be* in a specific namespace? The
"NS" suffix is just to distinguish this method from the "old" DOM v1
method "createAttribute" which creates an attribute that is in no
namespace (or is it the default namespace; I can never remember..).

To create an element with name "name" in namespace "http://mydomain",
try
dm.createElementNS("http://mydomain", "name");

Regards,