Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 16:02:16 UTC

AriesTrader sample

I recently added a version of the Geronimo DayTrader sample (now called
AriesTrader) into the Aries code stream under trunk/ariestrader-sample.
  It is a reorganized version of DayTrader that leverages the Aries
programming model (currently using a web application bundle, blueprint
and jndi modules) with JDBC persistence using Derby.  I also have an
extension that adds JPA persistence which I can include as that support
becomes available.  I plan to add some documentation on the structure of
the code and solicit feedback so that we can validate that it
appropriately demonstrates the Apache Aries programming model.

The sample has been around for a while and mocks up a stock trading
application.  It has been used in the past to provide performance runs.
  Included are typical functions for creating and managing accounts that
buy and sell stock.  There are also primitive functions for running some
scenarios not directly related to the primary trade functionality.

The sample is mostly functional.  There are just 2 primitives that I
know have some issues and there are still some graphics that I have to
figure out how to update that mention DayTrader and Geronimo rather than
the AriesTrader and Aries.

I've included an equinox assembly (modeled after that provided by the
blog sample) that can be used to run AriesTrader which uses the PAX Web
implementation.  I'll work on creating some tutorials and documentation
but here are some initial directions to get it running:

- Install and configure embedded Derby, see here for instructions:
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/install_software.html#derby

- Checkout and build trunk/ariestrader-sample

- cd ariestrader-sample/assemblies/ariestrader-jdbc-equinox/target

- java org.apache.derby.tools.ij tradeDB.sql

- java -jar osgi-3.5.0.v20090520.jar -console

- Point your web browser at
http://localhost:8080/org.apache.aries.ariestrader.modules.ariestrader-web

- select the "Configuration" tab and the "(Re)-populate AriesTrader
Database" to seed the database with a default set of users and stock quotes

- select the "Trading & Portfolios" tab to use the mock trade
application or the "Primitives" tab to run some of the web primitive
tests (PingJSPEL and PingServlet2JNDI are not currently working).  You
can also run the "Test AriesTrader Scenario" from the "Configuration"
tab which will launch a new browser window and step through a trading
scenario with each reload of the page.

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Another issue concerns the Derby database, it cannot be reached from Aries
Trader bundles. Maybe Derby should be configured as a Network Server instead
of embedded.

Regards,

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer

*****************************
blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard

Apache Camel Group :
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
John,

RE: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

There is currently no declarative transaction support in Aries, but I know that it's something that is on the to do list.

I seem to remember Ozzy talking about declarative transactions being implemented through blueprint namespace handlers, so I think he may have put some thought into doing this.

I'd suggest raising a JIRA to cover the new function, and we should see whether there has been anyone actively looking at adding this support.

Regards,

Tim

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Thx.

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Charles,

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
John,

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Actually, one comment.

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
I agree.  It was certainly my intention to use the Aries JPA container
mostly likely with OpenJPA for now.

Joe

Joe

RE: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

The Aries JPA container is based on the OSGi JPA Service draft, but is not an implementation of it. The OSGi JPA Service defines a mechanism by which clients can use unmanaged JPA, but in Aries we are focussing more on container services which means we should be providing managed JPA.

Essentially the Aries JPA container expects persistence bundles to be packaged in the same way that the OSGi Enterprise Specification draft does (with a Meta-Persistence header), but then creates and registers managed EntityManagerFactory services with the properties defined by that specification.

The second Aries JPA container bundle builds on the first to add blueprint injection for JPA resources (through a namespace handler), and managed persistence context support (transaction scope only).

Both bundles together provide a reasonably complete JPA container, the main items that are missing are annotation scanning (both for Entity classes and dependency injection) and bytecode weaving.

Hopefully this code will be useful in directing future OSGi specifications related to JPA.

Regards,

Tim

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Timothy,

RE: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
John,

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks

As I can see, we need to use :

1) ZipFixture

To create the EBA file from a bundle jar

Remark : I hope that a maven plugin will be available soon to make this job
!

2) ApplicationManager

To deploy the EBA file on OSGI server (Felix, Equinox, ...)

Next step will be to add a gogo command in Apache Felix Karaf to
install/update or uninstall EBA files

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by mark <mp...@gmail.com>.

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Thx John,

I will deploy this example in ServiceMix 4.

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
2010/1/19 Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>:
> Interesting example that I'm testing.
>
> There is a missing dependency in pom of assembly project :
>

>        <dependency>
>            <groupId>org.apache.derby</groupId>
>            <artifactId>derbytools</artifactId>
>            <version>10.5.3.0_1</version>
>        </dependency>
>
> Otherwise, the following command does not work in
>
>> - cd ariestrader-sample/assemblies/
>>
>> ariestrader-jdbc-equinox/target
>> >
>> > - java org.apache.derby.tools.ij tradeDB.sql

FWIW, it did work for me after setting up my environment as described
in here: http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/install_software.html#derby

David

Re: AriesTrader sample

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.