Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark Chaney <ma...@lists.macscr.com> on 2014/01/06 16:02:33 UTC

discard high scoring spam?

I sure I hope I didnt fail to bad on searching for this answer, but when
simply using spamassasin with postfix as an incoming smtp relay server
and not using anything like amavis or mailscanner, is there still a way
to discard high scoring spam (lets say 25), yet still marking emails
with scores of 5 or more as spam? I know how this would work with amavis
or mailscanner, but not sure how to do it standalone with postfix/SA. I
am hoping to avoid having to create filters at the destination servers
and having them deleted there. Seems like needless traffic/resource
usage. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: discard high scoring spam?

Posted by Adam Moffett <ad...@plexicomm.net>.
>> SpamAssassin can not drop a mail - it will always produce its output and not
>> producing it is treated as an error.
> If  you  call SpamAssassin directly from within Postfix, you can use a
> header check to discard the message on a high score.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many people answered "no" to this question. See
link:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratePostfixViaSpampd

That's not to say that it's wrong to use an additional milter e.g.
Amavis.  You will likely get additional capabilities by doing so.

Re: discard high scoring spam?

Posted by Duane Hill <du...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
 Duane                            mailto:duihi77@gmail.com

Re: discard high scoring spam?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 06.01.2014 18:56, schrieb Miles Fidelman:
> Mark Chaney wrote:
>> I sure I hope I didnt fail to bad on searching for this answer, but
>> when simply using spamassasin with postfix as an incoming smtp relay
>> server and not using anything like amavis or mailscanner, is there
>> still a way to discard high scoring spam (lets say 25), yet still
>> marking emails with scores of 5 or more as spam? I know how this would
>> work with amavis or mailscanner, but not sure how to do it standalone
>> with postfix/SA. I am hoping to avoid having to create filters at the
>> destination servers and having them deleted there. Seems like needless
>> traffic/resource usage. Thoughts?
>
> Amavisd - provides all the glue between MTA, spam filter, antivirus
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

additional
http://amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net/
works nice too

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: discard high scoring spam?

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 06.01.2014 16:15, schrieb Kevin A. McGrail:
> On 1/6/2014 10:07 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 06.01.2014 16:02, schrieb Mark Chaney:
>>> I sure I hope I didnt fail to bad on searching for this answer, but when
>>> simply using spamassasin with postfix as an incoming smtp relay server
>>> and not using anything like amavis or mailscanner, is there still a way
>>> to discard high scoring spam (lets say 25), yet still marking emails
>>> with scores of 5 or more as spam? I know how this would work with amavis
>>> or mailscanner, but not sure how to do it standalone with postfix/SA. I
>>> am hoping to avoid having to create filters at the destination servers
>>> and having them deleted there. Seems like needless traffic/resource
>>> usage. Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>> i.e use spamass milter with spamassassin
>>
>> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/
>>

>> -r nn   Reject scanned email if it greater than or equal to nn.
>>
> I suggest MIMEDefang instead.  Having used and documented the use of
> both of these milters, I have to tell you, spend the time to implement
> and learn MIMEDefang.  It's an amazing framework.

yeah, might be, but running spamass-milter since years with tons of mail
adresses without problems, shows no need need to use other stuff at my place

> regards,
> KAM

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.
On 01/06/2014 04:15 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 1/6/2014 10:07 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 06.01.2014 16:02, schrieb Mark Chaney:
>>> I sure I hope I didnt fail to bad on searching for this answer, but when
>>> simply using spamassasin with postfix as an incoming smtp relay server
>>> and not using anything like amavis or mailscanner, is there still a way
>>> to discard high scoring spam (lets say 25), yet still marking emails
>>> with scores of 5 or more as spam? I know how this would work with amavis
>>> or mailscanner, but not sure how to do it standalone with postfix/SA. I
>>> am hoping to avoid having to create filters at the destination servers
>>> and having them deleted there. Seems like needless traffic/resource
>>> usage. Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>> i.e use spamass milter with spamassassin
>>
>> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/
>>

>> -r nn   Reject scanned email if it greater than or equal to nn.
>>
> I suggest MIMEDefang instead.  Having used and documented the use of
> both of these milters, I have to tell you, spend the time to implement
> and learn MIMEDefang.  It's an amazing framework.

I suggest FuGlu.

http://www.fuglu.org/

http://gryphius.github.io/fuglu/

I have to tell you, spend the time to implement
and learn Fuglu.

It's an amazing framework.

Axb
PS: Thx to KAM for his PR work I stole .-)

Re: discard high scoring spam?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 06.01.2014 17:06, schrieb Mark Chaney:
> So I got it working and it appears actually reject the email versus
> simply discard it. Is this ok to do?

discard is not allowed in many countries, reject at smtp income stage is
ok ever, milters are before-queue

http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

As long as its not creating spam,
> it seems ok.
>
> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>
>     mchaney@example.com
>
> Technical details of permanent failure:
> Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server
> for the recipient domain example.com by mx3.example.com. [192.241.xxx.xxx].
>
> The error that the other server returned was:
> 550 5.7.1 Blocked by SpamAssassin

thats fine, if the mail was spam and its spam tag was over the
configured limit

> On 2014-01-06 09:36, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 06.01.2014 16:17, schrieb Mark Chaney:
>>> Thanks, I will look into it, but on just a quick look, isn't it geared
>>> more towards sendmail than postfix, which is what I am using? Also, it
>>> doesn't appear to have been updated in a couple years and the last
>>> update in 2011 was a security patch to a pretty big exploit. =/
>>
>> spamass-milter works fine with postfix
>> exploit is fixed ,and wasnt ever relevant on good configured
>> postfix servers, there is simply nothing to do making it better so no
>> updates are needed

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 06.01.2014 16:17, schrieb Mark Chaney:
> Thanks, I will look into it, but on just a quick look, isn't it geared
> more towards sendmail than postfix, which is what I am using? Also, it
> doesn't appear to have been updated in a couple years and the last
> update in 2011 was a security patch to a pretty big exploit. =/

spamass-milter works fine with postfix
exploit is fixed ,and wasnt ever relevant on good configured
postfix servers, there is simply nothing to do making it better so no
updates are needed

> On 2014-01-06 09:07, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 06.01.2014 16:02, schrieb Mark Chaney:
>>> I sure I hope I didnt fail to bad on searching for this answer, but when
>>> simply using spamassasin with postfix as an incoming smtp relay server
>>> and not using anything like amavis or mailscanner, is there still a way
>>> to discard high scoring spam (lets say 25), yet still marking emails
>>> with scores of 5 or more as spam? I know how this would work with amavis
>>> or mailscanner, but not sure how to do it standalone with postfix/SA. I
>>> am hoping to avoid having to create filters at the destination servers
>>> and having them deleted there. Seems like needless traffic/resource
>>> usage. Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>
>> i.e use spamass milter with spamassassin
>>
>> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/
>>

>> -r nn   Reject scanned email if it greater than or equal to nn.
>>

>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer