Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> on 2005/04/01 21:08:02 UTC

[OT-nearing], was: Re: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?

Benedict, Paul C wrote:

>Thank you for the response and advice. I will take this into consideration,
>but I have a difficult time accepting that the future is JSF. Despite it's
>acceptance as a standard, I don't feel any compelling reason to ever use JSF
>over Struts unless JSF becomes a huge marketing success.
>
>What should a Struts developer make out of JSF?

Web apps? ;)

What other options are you looking at? I too am nearing deecision-making
time about where to direct my future development focii, but so far JSF
seems to be the "best" answer for Java-centric stuff.

Dave

Re: [OT-nearing], was: Re: Is It Possible to Code Using Struts and JSF at the Same Time?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 1, 2005 11:08 AM, Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
> Benedict, Paul C wrote:
>
> >Thank you for the response and advice. I will take this into consideration,
> >but I have a difficult time accepting that the future is JSF. Despite it's
> >acceptance as a standard, I don't feel any compelling reason to ever use JSF
> >over Struts unless JSF becomes a huge marketing success.
> >
> >What should a Struts developer make out of JSF?
> >

> Web apps? ;)
>
> What other options are you looking at? I too am nearing deecision-making
> time about where to direct my future development focii, but so far JSF
> seems to be the "best" answer for Java-centric stuff.

JSF has two personalities that someone familiar with Struts needs to
think about:

* A pure view tier API for building visual components.  You
  can do lots of interesting things (like tables that have input
  fields, components that encapsulate Ajax-style interactions
  with the server, components that render things other than
  HTML) that Struts HTML tags will never be able to do.  These
  components can be combined with an existing Struts controller
  architecture (or another controller architecture, for that matter).

* A basic controller, driving a request processing lifecycle,
  with lots of plug in extension points.  When some already-
  planned work is done, you'll be able to combine JSF with
  Tiles and Commons Validator, and do everything Struts 1.x's
  controller tier does.

In addition, it's possible for a next generation framework that
assumes the existence of JSF, and adds value around it.  As the
original creator of Struts, it should interest you to know where I am
personally spending my (relatively limited) open source time:

  http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsShale

I am not going to be working on Struts 1.3 (other than discussing some
of the design decisons), knowing that its future is in good hands with
the existing committers.  Instead, I'm focused on the future.

> Dave

Craig McClanahan