Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Patrick LeBoutillier <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/09/20 04:15:53 UTC

Design question

Hi,

I'm new to JMeter and want to use it to do performance testing on an
application we have that uses a proprietary protocol. Also, the application
uses a persistent connection. Users typically connect to the server
in the morning and disconnect in late afternoon.

I have ASCII files that contain daily 'sessions', i.e. every request
sent for a specific user, followed by the idle time until the next request.
I want to replay these 'sessions' (possibly at a faster rate) in order to
to load testing on the application server

My plan is to write a custom Controler that will connect to the server at
startup
and then open one of the session files and loop through the request. I also
need
a custom Timer that will pause for the length of the idle time until the
next request.

My questions are:

- Is this the right way to tackle this problem?
- If so, is there a way to get the Timer to ask the Controler for the next
amount of
   idle time? (I'm a bit confused as to how the architecture goes...)

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: Design question

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

the first step is to write a sampler using your custom driver. You should be able to test it out with the default controllers, then you can work on your own custom controller.

peter