Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Ryan Chan <ry...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/14 06:26:11 UTC

It is make sense to use memo to manage Ruby/Sinatra app?

Hello,

We have a lot of  Ruby/Sinatra apps written in house for different
purposes.

As you know that Ruby limitation on threading so currently we launch a lot
of ruby process in a single machine (with different ports) in order to
utilize the CPU power. They are behind a AWS ELB for load balancing.

To manage these ruby process is quite manual as some app use more resource,
while some app use less resource, so we cannot deploy too many ruby process
on a single machine to prevent overload, the drawback is some resources are
wasted.

I heard people use meso to manage Java app such as Spark, I am thinking if
it make sense to integrate memo with my ruby app, anyone tried this before?

Re: It is make sense to use memo to manage Ruby/Sinatra app?

Posted by Florian Leibert <fl...@mesosphe.re>.
Hi Ryan

I think you might be interested in looking at Marathon. Marathon allows you
to keep n instances of an application running in a cluster and will ensure
that if one of them dies, another one takes over. It also aims to solve
service discovery along the way.

If you're familiar with Play! which is the "rails of the JVM", you could
take a look at this tutorial which explains all the steps in detail:
http://typesafe.com/blog/play-framework-grid-deployment-with-mesos. The
only difference would be that you start your ruby app instead of the play
application.

--Flo