Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/03/28 02:44:29 UTC

54 podlings - too many?

All,

We're currently at 54 podlings in the incubator.  I feel like that's a
lot.  Anyone else have any concerns with so many podlings?

John

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 5:44 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> We're currently at 54 podlings in the incubator.  I feel like that's a
> lot.  Anyone else have any concerns with so many podlings?

I really encourage everybody to read the feedback on the last year's attempt
at changing the Incubator mechanics thread:  https://s.apache.org/Bxc0

I believe the subject has been beaten to death and then some. I really don't
think there's been any material change between Oct 2015 and now.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We're currently at 54 podlings in the incubator.
>
> A more use stat would perhaps to see:
> a) How long they have been in incubation?
> b) How many releases have they made?
>
> May be easier to then target one that should graduate or perhaps retire?

The "Clutch Report" provides this sort of analysis.

  http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

Column B is "number of days in incubation", helpfully color coded.

Column S is "has release".

Plus lots of other data.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Michael Fitzner <fi...@gmail.com>.

> Am 28.03.2016 um 07:59 schrieb Jean-Baptiste
Add

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
There was also some discussion of maybe bringing the code into Apache
Tika - we would be happy to have a discussion on dev@tika if it made
sense RE: ODF Toolkit.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:36 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:33 AM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 6:44 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Both great ideas.  Thanksfully, Whimsy helps a bit on the age part
>> >
>> > https://whimsy.apache.org/incubator/podlings/by-age
>> >
>> > It also gives a clean dashboard to display who the mentors are, etc.  Is
>> it
>> > possible we can have the mentors of each project give this feedback in an
>> > objective manner?
>>
>> Hmmm, that pie chart looks wonky.
>
> What does the pie chart even mean?

Try hovering your cursor over it :-)

- Sam Ruby

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

I agree with Justin.

Maybe, we should do kind of audit:
- are the podlings actually active (commits, messages on the mailing
list, releases, etc) ?
- for how long are they in the incubator ?
- how far are they from graduation ?

We can spread this work with "buckets" assigned to volunteer Incubator
PMC members. I would be happy to help there.

Regards
JB

On 03/28/2016 03:42 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We're currently at 54 podlings in the incubator.
>
> A more use stat would perhaps to see:
> a) How long they have been in incubation?
> b) How many releases have they made?
>
> May be easier to then target one that should graduate or perhaps retire?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Re: 54 podlings - too many?

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
I think it's a lot, but shouldn't be a worry as long as mentors are keeping up, right? And that the incubator report manager isn't overburdened. ;)

There's also the topic of shepherds. I seem to recall a sentiment to the effect that incubator shepherds weren't adding value (from whom, I forget exactly, but can look it up). That caused me to pull back a bit from shepherd activity (I still look, but comment less).

-Taylor