Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com> on 2004/08/01 21:45:16 UTC

SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

so i think, why not take a look at the currently submitted logos...

so i go to the SA website, click on the link and...

WOW !!!

such an amazing work!!! these guys have made some amazing works of art !!!

i personaly like two of them:
1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen
2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On 01 Aug 2004 17:57:47 -0700 "Daniel Quinlan" <qu...@pathname.com> wrote:

> > i personaly like two of them:
> > 1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen
> excellent art, a little too serious, complex, and threatening for a logo

but thats the beauty of it, its serious and complex.
(not sure about the threatening part)

> > 2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson
> also excellent looking, an early favorite of mine, but I think it's a
> little too unclear which type of mail is on fire

i think its superb, the crystal effect is very good and the letters
are very clear. i like the black letter with red flame.

> 1.0.29. Javi Masa (especially the second image of pierced spam in red
>         which is new) is my favorite. Fantastic work!

personaly, i think its a bit silly :]

> 1.0.25. Attis Bijlani - ClearFire Designs is also a good
>         "corporate-style" logo, it needs a bit more work, but the
>         concept is very good.  It's just not enough "SpamAssassin" right
>         yet.

i dont like the pink color :)

just my thoughts

RE: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions" <mi...@blacknightsolutions.com>.

>>> i personaly like two of them:
>>> 1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen
>>
>> excellent art, a little too serious, complex, and threatening for a
>> logo
>
> I have to agree.  I hate to, I really like it, but it as a
> logo it's not clear enough.

It's a fantastic piece of art, but too complex as a logo IMHO
I would use it in some contexts, but the number of colours etc., would make
it hard to use in some contexts

>>> 2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson
>>
>> also excellent looking, an early favorite of mine, but I think it's a
>> little too unclear which type of mail is on fire
>
> Not bad.

Very nice.

> I think 1.0.3 would be better if "spam" where in red with the black
> cross-hairs over it.

That's just a matter of colour. Compared to a lot of the other entries 1.0.3
is a much simpler and more effective logo as you can easily see how it can
scale up and down and be reproduced in almost any format

It would definitely get my vote.

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
http://www.blacknight.ie/
Tel. +353 59 9137101

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 01 Aug 2004, at 18:57, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Dimitrios <se...@altered.com> writes:
>> so i think, why not take a look at the currently submitted logos...
>
> 100% agreement!  I only wish we had more ability to publicize the
> contest and a longer period of time to wait because more and more great
> logos keep getting submitted.
>
>> i personaly like two of them:
>> 1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen
>
> excellent art, a little too serious, complex, and threatening for a
> logo

I have to agree.  I hate to, I really like it, but it as a logo it's
not clear enough.

>> 2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson
>
> also excellent looking, an early favorite of mine, but I think it's a
> little too unclear which type of mail is on fire

Not bad.

I really like the simplicity of 1.0.3's second logo, but I think
1.0.17(2) is my current favorite.  I really like the subliminal "check
mark" in the envelope and there's a good use of color.  It's a clean
logo that isn't too busy, cartoonish, or difficult to decipher.

I think 1.0.3 would be better if "spam" where in red with the black
cross-hairs over it.

> 1.0.29. Javi Masa (especially the second image of pierced spam in red
>         which is new) is my favorite. Fantastic work!

I think 1.0.29 is too cartoonish and would prefer something more
serious.  When I have the SA logo on my ISP's "Email and Spam" webpage
I want logos that look serious and not that look 'cute' in any way.  If
the logo looks cute I'm not likely to use it on a serious page.

> 1.0.25. Attis Bijlani - ClearFire Designs is also a good
>         "corporate-style" logo, it needs a bit more work, but the
>         concept is very good.  It's just not enough "SpamAssassin"
> right
>         yet.

I think it looks too much like an AOL icon. And it doesn't say, to me,
anything about the actual product.  And what's the black oval in the
middle supposed to be?

--
BUGS: There is no conversion specification for the phase of the moon."
strftime(3) man page

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Dimitrios <se...@altered.com> writes:

> so i think, why not take a look at the currently submitted logos...

100% agreement!  I only wish we had more ability to publicize the
contest and a longer period of time to wait because more and more great
logos keep getting submitted.

> i personaly like two of them:
> 1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen

excellent art, a little too serious, complex, and threatening for a logo

> 2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson

also excellent looking, an early favorite of mine, but I think it's a
little too unclear which type of mail is on fire

1.0.29. Javi Masa (especially the second image of pierced spam in red
        which is new) is my favorite. Fantastic work!

        Basically, 1.0.29 combines the best of 1.0.24 and 1.0.9 into
        something that I think really works.  It also includes a ninja
        element, the concept of filtering, and is cute.

1.0.25. Attis Bijlani - ClearFire Designs is also a good
        "corporate-style" logo, it needs a bit more work, but the
        concept is very good.  It's just not enough "SpamAssassin" right
        yet.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:06:10 -0400 "Theo Van Dinter" <fe...@kluge.net> wrote:

> We've discussed this a little on IRC today.  The thought came up about
> having 2 logos ala Debian (http://www.debian.org/logos/).  Basically have
> one as the official project logo, and another, related, one for the
> "corporate" use.

I dont really like the restrictions that the 'corporate' logo as for debian.

If you take this route, i'd suggest to have both logos free for use.

Personally, i dont care if the logo looks 'corporate' or not, i believe
the quality of the product is more important. If the logo is threatening
or cartoonish, even the better.

dual-logos may solve the problem and people can just choose whatever they want.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:49:36PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> Well, in my opinion, it's important to remember that this is an
> open source project, and having a logo that looks professional
> and corporate just does not need to be the top priority ;)

We've discussed this a little on IRC today.  The thought came up about
having 2 logos ala Debian (http://www.debian.org/logos/).  Basically have
one as the official project logo, and another, related, one for the
"corporate" use.

IMO, we want something "clean" and simple for a logo.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
How does a fly land on the ceiling? Does it fly upside down or just go up

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by "Michele Neylon : Blacknight Solutions" <mi...@blacknightsolutions.com>.
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 19:42, LuKreme wrote:
> On 03 Aug 2004, at 09:20, Dimitrios wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:49:40 -0400 "D.J." <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> For my 2 cents worth, my favorite is 1.0.24.  Several formats to
> >> choose from and just an overall great looking logo in my opinion :-)
> >
> > same here, best one.
>
> But it's never going to show up on a corporate site or a ISP's "What we
> do about Spam" page.  Sorry, it's just not.  The logo need to be clean
> and professional.  Mostly clean.  It needs to look like a logo and not
> something "cool" with "ninjas".

Maybe a couple of them could be used as is the case with some other open
source projects where there is an "official" logo that can be used
everywhere, while "cooler" versions are more suited to other uses.
Just a thought

--
Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
http://www.blacknight.ie/
+353 59 913 7101

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.

LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote on 08/03/2004 01:42:53 PM:

> On 03 Aug 2004, at 09:20, Dimitrios wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:49:40 -0400 "D.J." <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> For my 2 cents worth, my favorite is 1.0.24.  Several formats to
> >> choose from and just an overall great looking logo in my opinion :-)
> >
> > same here, best one.
>
> But it's never going to show up on a corporate site or a ISP's "What we
> do about Spam" page.  Sorry, it's just not.  The logo need to be clean
> and professional.  Mostly clean.  It needs to look like a logo and not
> something "cool" with "ninjas".

Agreed, most of the logo's are a little too comic-ie (is that a word?) for
me.  Actually my favorite is the Silver Protected logo from 1.0.24. It's
obvious that it's an envelope, tells you the product name, clean simple and
to the point.  Keep the small one as is and make another one with the
graphic and the lettering a little bigger, remove the Protected by, maybe
throw in a blurb about ASF.

If you have a small button logo, I think it should say Protected by rather
than Powered by since SA is protecting you from Spam not powering your mail
system.

Just my .02
Andy

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by Dimitrios <se...@altered.com>.
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:49:40 -0400 "D.J." <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For my 2 cents worth, my favorite is 1.0.24.  Several formats to
> choose from and just an overall great looking logo in my opinion :-)

same here, best one.

and if people think its too threatening, well thats good, it may scare some spammers ;)

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by "D.J." <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Tuesday 03 August 2004 12:30 am, nadim wrote:
> On Sunday 01 August 2004 21:45, Dimitrios wrote:
> > such an amazing work!!! these guys have made some amazing works of art
> > !!!
> >
> > i personaly like two of them:
> > 1) 1.0.24. Janne Pitk__nen
> > 2) 1.0.9. nGmedia / Ulf Edvinsson
>
> My two favorites too :-) a bit too "dense" but ver pro indeed.
>
> Cheers, Nadim.

Those are very colorfull, but I like the simple elegance
of 1.0.26.  It won't seem dated in 2 years.

--
John Andersen

Re: SA Logo Contest !! AMAZING!!

Posted by nadim <na...@khemir.net>.