Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christian Pestel <ch...@orange.fr> on 2012/06/06 18:02:32 UTC

Re: Offending font: /Helvetica with PDF/A and SVG image

Hi Pascal,

In PDF mode, in a text in SVG image (SVG-text) use batik/AWT for rendering
and AWT use directly Windows fonts directory.
so, the fop.config seems ignored by batik.

Case 1 /
If in a SVG-text I use font-family "Verdana" or "Georgia" and that this
fonts exist in Windows fonts dir, pdf is well rendered with Verdana or
Geogia fonts embeded.

Case 2 /
If in a SVG-text I use font-family "Tartanpion", and if this font don't
exist in Windows dir, batik substitute "Tartanpion" by "Helvetica", pdf is
well rendered with Helvetica font.

Case 3 /
If in a SVG-text I use font-family "Tartanpion", and if this font don't
exist in Windows dir, batik substitute "Tartanpion" by "Helvetica", pdf is
not rendered because a Fop Error occurs :
org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFConformanceException: For PDF/A-1b, all fonts, even
the base 14 fonts, have to be embedded! Offending font: /Helvetica
I have the font Helvetica in my fop.config but this seems ignored.
kerning="yes" embed-url="C:/Windows/Fonts/Arial.ttf">

How Fop link with the substituted AWT font Helvetica ?

Christian Pestel

christian.pestel@orange.fr

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Christian,

Le 07/06/2012 15:16, Christian Pestel a écrit :
> Hi Pascal,
>
> You say "the best approach is to directly specify font-family with "Arial"
> in both XSL-FO and SVG, and set FOP font configuration in that approach"
>
> My purpose is : I would like to not have fop error in PDF-A if I use a
> font-family (like font "Tartanpion") in SVG-text that don't exist in Windows
> fonts.
This is not possible:
  - PDF/A require to embed used fonts;
  - Batik uses system fonts to render text in SVG.

So, when you want to generate a PDF/A from data containing text in SVG,
the only solution you have is to ensure that used fonts are available in
both FOP config and host system fonts.

I see 2 alternatives if you don't want to install any font on your system:
  - vectorize text in SVG (some tools like AI have this feature);
  - remove all text from SVG and put it directly in a fo:block that
comes over your SVG.

--
Pascal

Re: Offending font: /Helvetica with PDF/A and SVG image

--
Pascal

Re: Offending font: /Helvetica with PDF/A and SVG image

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Hi,

--
Pascal