Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by John Masters <jo...@eepulse.com> on 2001/03/22 15:19:11 UTC

Page Navigation

Does the Turbine Framework provide support for page navigation?

Let's say I have two pages named Employee List, and Employee Details.  The Employee List page displays a simple list of first and last names.  Each row in this list also contains an Edit button.  When the user clicks on the Edit button, the Employee Details page is displayed.  This page is a form, with all of the employee information available for editing.

The Employee Details page has a Submit button.  When the user clicks Submit, the Employee Details page is redisplayed with a confirmation message if the data submitted was ok, or an error message if not.  This process may be repeated if the user elects to make more changes.  Let's say the user make 3 separate changes, pressing the Submit button 3 times.

The Employee Details page also has a "Done" button.  Continuing with the scenario above, if the user (still on the Employee Details page) clicks on the Done button, they are returned to the Employee List page.  The desired behavior of the Done button is for it to be similar (but smarter than) the Browser Back button.  If I relied on the Browser Back button, the user would have to press it three times (in this case) before returning to the Employee List page.  Remember, the details page was redisplayed each of the 3 times new information was submitted.

Why not simply put a url under the Done button pointing directly back to the Employee List page?

I don't want to do this because I will display the Employee Details page from pages other than the Employee List page.  That is, the "Done" button on the Employee Details page needs to return to pages other than the Employee List page.

I'm not asking for implementation suggestions.  I've already solved this problem. I am wondering, however, if the Turbine Framework provides any kind of support for a problem such as this?

Admittedly, I do not yet understand how a "Page" is defined in the Turbine Framework, and the solution to this problem may require more fundamental understanding of that organization.  If that's the case, a simple "got it covered" response would be great.  If not, I would be curious to know if the framework would support such a requirement.

In either case, thank you in advance for your attention.

John

Re: Page Navigation

Posted by Sean Legassick <se...@informage.net>.
In message <00...@eepulse.com>, John Masters
<jo...@eepulse.com> writes
>Does the Turbine Framework provide supportĀ for page navigation?

"page navigation" isn't a very descriptive way of specifying the feature
you are talking about. I considered this question and called it a
"screen stack". I had a design for adding such a feature to Turbine some
time ago, but never got around to implementing it.

How did you solve the problem? Is it a general enough solution to
incorporate into Turbine? If so you should submit your code :-)

Sean

--
Sean Legassick
sean@informage.net

Re: Page Navigation

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/22/01 6:19 AM, "John Masters" <jo...@eepulse.com> wrote:

> Does the Turbine Framework provide support for page navigation?

What an overly broad question.

> I'm not asking for implementation suggestions.  I've already solved this
> problem.

Ok, you ask if something is possible, and then you say you solved the
problem? Eh?

> I am wondering, however, if the Turbine Framework provides any kind
> of support for a problem such as this?

I still don't really see the problem.

> Admittedly, I do not yet understand how a "Page" is defined in the Turbine
> Framework

There is lots of documentation on the website that explains this in
detail...

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/fsd.html

>, and the solution to this problem may require more fundamental
> understanding of that organization.  If that's the case, a simple "got it
> covered" response would be great.  If not, I would be curious to know if the
> framework would support such a requirement.
>
> In either case, thank you in advance for your attention.

I still have no idea what the original problem is.

-jon