Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/01 06:33:43 UTC

Re: Assign JIRA tickets to someone else

Folks,

I don't think we need additional notification for catching attention of
some community
experts. Such notifications can be overused by other participants.
Developer mail list
the best place we have for any discussions.

What I really would like to have is the list of community members\experts
and their zones
of Ignite project code responsibilities. May be such list already exists,
does it?

As for me, I think we should pose right the complexity of the issue at the
moment
of their creation. Ask expert to provide some high level implementation
details and
keep it unassingned, so anyone can take it.

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 01:09 Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> How about mention desired expert with some predefined message?
> So expert can setup simple email filter and know about tickets that have
> to be done.
>
> Example:
>
> "[~dpavlov] TFY" - ticket for you.
>
> В Вт, 31/07/2018 в 14:04 -0700, Dmitriy Setrakyan пишет:
> > Dmitriy,
> >
> > I would agree with everything you are saying. There are some tickets,
> > however, that cannot be done by just anyone and preferably have to be
> > looked at by certain domain experts. In those cases only it would be OK
> > assign a ticket explicitly in my view. For all other cases we should
> allow
> > the community pick up a ticket they want to work on.
> >
> > D.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Igniters,
> > >
> > > Ignite is complex project and sometimes we know
> > > 1. who can solve the issue
> > > 2. and we would like that particular contributor would take an issue.
> > >
> > > In the same time "in an open source community where everything is
> > > distributed, asynchronous and volunteer work we should leave the issues
> > > open to anyone until someone volunteers to work on it."
> > >
> > > It seems it is not prohibited by Apache to assign it directly, in the
> same
> > > time it is better for community grown to avoid it:
> > > "Assigning things to people seems the role of a project manager that
> has
> > > some sort of power over the managed team. Speaking from experience I
> do not
> > > take it nicely when someone that uses the project I am a volunteer at
> > > (which I might now know ) "assigns work" to me."
> > >
> > > Please find Apache mentors' comments on this:
> > > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c6013b99940de32aae831a0b76e8fd
> > > 53febe5040e9e0d67abb4f62a5@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E
> > >

> > > Please share you vision.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Dmitriy Pavlov

Maxim Muzafarov

Re: Assign JIRA tickets to someone else

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Setting Assignee doesn't mean that the ticket is reserved for that
particular person. If anyone wants to participate in that ticket he can
always ask about that in JIRA or on mailing list. In fact, this is how we
deal with tickets that got stuck on a contributor for a long time.

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Dmitry,

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Vyacheslav,

Thank you! This seems exactly what I was asking about.

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 10:18 Vyacheslav Daradur <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Maxim,
>
> There is information about project components maintainers [1], but I'm
> not sure if it is actual.
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute#HowtoContribute-ReviewProcessandMaintainers
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:33 AM Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > I don't think we need additional notification for catching attention of
> > some community
> > experts. Such notifications can be overused by other participants.
> > Developer mail list
> > the best place we have for any discussions.
> >
> > What I really would like to have is the list of community members\experts
> > and their zones
> > of Ignite project code responsibilities. May be such list already exists,
> > does it?
> >
> > As for me, I think we should pose right the complexity of the issue at
> the
> > moment
> > of their creation. Ask expert to provide some high level implementation
> > details and
> > keep it unassingned, so anyone can take it.
> >
> > On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 01:09 Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > How about mention desired expert with some predefined message?
> > > So expert can setup simple email filter and know about tickets that
> have
> > > to be done.
> > >
> > > Example:

> OK