Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Bouchard <je...@mail.mcgill.ca> on 2008/03/18 00:03:35 UTC

T4: page pool & memory leaks

Boy, am I glad to have figured out that one! I run a pretty busy site
using T4 and tomcat had to be restarted every day because it was running
out of memory. That problem has plagued me for the past year and it
turns out it was caused by the page pool accumulating several version of
each page for different locales even though my site isn't even
localized. After searching the mailing list, I found that I needed to
restrict the accepted locales as described here
(http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4/UsersGuide/localization.html#localization.accepted-locales).

I think it's a pretty big problem and I saw it debated on the mailing
list and I can understand that it is hard to change the default behavior
now.

At least the problem seemed to have been taken care in T5 (kudos on
that!) with periodic page pool cleanup and soft/hard limits on the
number of entries in there. I'm also glad to see that the list of
accepted locales is restricted by default (to "en,it,zh_CN", why not
just "en" by the way?).

Anyhow, kudos to Howard and the team for a great product. I've been
using it since v3 and it is a pleasure to work with!

Ciao
JPB

P.S.: For those of you interested, I figured out the problem by dumping
the heap on the live system using jmap (jmap -dump:format=b,file=XXX
PID), a tool included with JDK 6 and analyzing the dump with IBM heap
analyzer (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/heapanalyzer).