Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by adam <lm...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/25 08:38:11 UTC

open office suite

Guys,

your product is open and free but it's by no means mature - it takes me
back to the MS Office 4.2  that I was running under a Win NT on a crappy
386 back in the aerly ninenties - I had a "save after every sentence"
habbit engrained so well that it took years to get rid of. Now I installed
OpenOffice 4.1.1 - and I'm developing the same habbit all over again - with
the bitching and cursing over lost work included. I'm seriously thinking of
just dishing out the money for an MS office - you know, suffer once and
then enjoy...

Re: open office suite

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> Guys,
>
> your product is open and free but it's by no means mature - it takes me
> back to the MS Office 4.2  that I was running under a Win NT on a crappy
> 386 back in the aerly ninenties - I had a "save after every sentence"
> habbit engrained so well that it took years to get rid of. Now I installed
> OpenOffice 4.1.1 - and I'm developing the same habbit all over again - with
> the bitching and cursing over lost work included. I'm seriously thinking of
> just dishing out the money for an MS office - you know, suffer once and
> then enjoy...

Well, do that if you like. You are free to use whatever software you like,
aren't you? I'm not sure why you even write here about it, but I guess you
are free to do that too…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: open office suite

Posted by Donald Miller <da...@hotmail.com>.
And another thing about MS. After they locked me out of my registered
copy the
5th or 6th time, and wasted email exchanges, I removed their CRAP. I
hate them.
Arrogance and incompetence are a wicked combination.

Regards,
Donald A. Miller

Re: open office suite

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> On 10/25/2015 12:38 AM, adam wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > your product is open and free but it's by no means mature - it takes me
> > back to the MS Office 4.2  that I was running under a Win NT on a crappy
> > 386 back in the aerly ninenties - I had a "save after every sentence"
> > habbit engrained so well that it took years to get rid of. Now I
> installed
> > OpenOffice 4.1.1 - and I'm developing the same habbit all over again -
> with
> > the bitching and cursing over lost work included. I'm seriously
> thinking of
> > just dishing out the money for an MS office - you know, suffer once and
> > then enjoy...
>
> Adam,
>
> It appears you also have the engrained habbit of merely bitching and
> complaining at office suites that cause crashes, but not offer any
> useful information about the problem you have.
>
> If you have have an app that crashes, you need to give sufficient
> information so that it can be reproduced and fixed. Same goes if you
> were bitching about MSO instead of AOO or LO. You need to give enough
> information about the problems you are having. The post you made is not
> sufficient.
>
> Additionally, an additional benefit of open source over closed-source is
> you can file the bug yourself, to ensure that it gets filed. And if
> you're able to, you can fix it yourself, instead of giving vague
> complaints to volunteers who are giving you software and not charging
> you for it. It seems a bit rude to just come in and crap on them. If
> you're not willing to describe the problem well enough for others to
> fix, then what's the point in complaining? Do you want AOO to fix the
> problem(s) you have, or just want to vent and keep things as they are?
>
> LibreOffice is another option besides Apache OpenOffice, before going
> back to Microsoft Office. Bluntly, LO is more stable than AOO, in my
> usage.

Then your usage must be the opposite of mine… :P I used LibreOffice for a
couple of years, but finally I had enough and went back to Apache
OpenOffice. LibreOffice destroyed my most important spreadsheet so much
that it couldn't repair it. Fortunately, Apache OpenOffice repaired it just
fine… (if the latter would have failed, I do backups at least once a day,
so there was no real issue, but still annoying). Some time later I tried
LibreOffice again and it destroyed another important spreadsheet, and I
gave it up for quite some time, I guess. This time not even Apache
OpenOffice could repair the file, so I had to revert to the latest backup
copy.

Off topic, sorry, just couldn't resist…

> But don't forget to report the bug you're having in AOO, before
> you leave it unreported and move elsewhere. Additionally, if LO fails in
> the same way, you should also report the issue to their bug database.
>
> Realistically, most open source is "good enough" for the main 80% usage
> case. Microsoft spends millions each year adding dozens of new features
> in MSO that you'll never use, and doing more testing than FOSS projects
> do. You get to pay for those benefits each year when you rent a copy of
> their software.
>
> FWIW, The only time I can get AOO to crash frequently is using Impress,
> in Outline Mode, and converting big chunks of pasted ASCII text into a
> set of new slides, adding new and collapsing two existing slides seems
> to be the main cause of crashes in my normal use. This instability is in
> AOO and LO since forever. Once I can debug this, I'll file a bug, and a
> patch if I can. I use recent builds of AOO (and LO) on
> MacOSX/Windows/Linux on a regular basis, no crashes except for above
> situation. I never stopped the habit of saving every 5min, exiting,
> backing up file, and restarting, with any office suite. :-|

Wow, that must be very time consuming, unless you do it automatically… or
even then…

Re: open office suite

Posted by Lee Fisher <l....@gmail.com>.

Re: open office suite

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 25-Oct-15 18:38, adam wrote:
> Guys,
>
> your product is open and free but it's by no means mature - it takes me
> back to the MS Office 4.2  that I was running under a Win NT on a crappy
> 386 back in the aerly ninenties - I had a "save after every sentence"
> habbit engrained so well that it took years to get rid of. Now I installed
> OpenOffice 4.1.1 - and I'm developing the same habbit all over again - with
> the bitching and cursing over lost work included. I'm seriously thinking of
> just dishing out the money for an MS office - you know, suffer once and
> then enjoy...
If you need support, you should give some more information.

What Operating System and which version are you running?
Tell us a bit more what you we're doing, how large is the document etcetera.
I had a lot of crashes whit Windows 8.1 after I upgraded to Windows 10 I didn't have any crash.
So don't blame OpenOffice the issue could be something else.

Re: open office suite

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:38:11 +0400
adam <lm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> your product is open and free but it's by no means mature - it takes me
> back to the MS Office 4.2  that I was running under a Win NT on a crappy
> 386 back in the aerly ninenties - I had a "save after every sentence"
> habbit engrained so well that it took years to get rid of. Now I installed
> OpenOffice 4.1.1 - and I'm developing the same habbit all over again - with
> the bitching and cursing over lost work included. I'm seriously thinking of
> just dishing out the money for an MS office - you know, suffer once and
> then enjoy...

It often happens on an upgrade, particularly when the Windows version changes, that the OpenOffice user profile is or becomes corrupt.  Most problems with instability of OpenOffice can be cured by deleting or renaming the OpenOffice user profile.  A new profile with default settings, is generated on the next start of OpenOffice; this cures most instability problems.

If you are using Windows do this by:
Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>