Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> on 2002/08/04 08:50:06 UTC

Re: Support for xsd:anyURI - Proposal

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Ruby" <ru...@apache.org>
To: <ax...@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 12:24
Subject: Re: Support for xsd:anyURI - Proposal

> Glen Daniels wrote:
>  > Typing is critically important when passing data around.  If you have
>  > an AxisURI class, you can unambigiously know how to serialize that on
>  > the wire in exchange for a little added complexity setting/getting
>  > values.  I think this is the right way to go - otherwise you risk
>  > major interoperability problems unless you are VERY careful with your
>  > metadata.
>
> The very real risk exists that every component that one deploys in a
> system defined their own mapping of XML concepts to their own component
> specific type.  I would suggest that if we don't find an existing Java
> construct to map to, then we should work with the JAX RPC experts group
> to define one.

we have a fundamental problem that XSD datatypes are hard to map properly to
simple java datatypes. Ultimately, you want a set of classes that exactly
model the behavior of XSD types, right down to facets and things, so you
cannot work with them outside the envelope that the schema defines. But
because XML Schema is such a baroque mess of concepts this is really, really
hard.

we need definitions for all the unsigned types that from other peoples WSDL
at the very least.

-steve