Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by karen lin <do...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/19 19:50:53 UTC

what is the command to find out whether or not Tomcat is installed on your server

Hi All:
I am not very familiar with Unix OS, Let us say, after i logged in to my
unix account,
what is the command i should use to find out whether or not TomCat is
installed??

please let me know..

Many thanks..

Re: what is the command to find out whether or not Tomcat is installed on your server

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@coe.tamu.edu>.
> I am not very familiar with Unix OS, Let us say, after i logged in to my
> unix account,
> what is the command i should use to find out whether or not TomCat is
> installed??

If on redhat/fedora core,
         rpm -qa|grep tomcat
will tell you if there's anything that has tomcat in the name. (Since
there are many names to tomcat packages)
         yum search tomcat
will also tell you something.

If it gets something for you, you can do
         rpm -ql "the package name you got from rpm -qa..."
will give you the installed location.

If you suspect it might be already running, you can also do
 	lsof -i:8080 (you should be root.)
 	links localhost:8080 or just open a browser to
"http://127.0.0.1:8080"
 	grep tomcat /etc/passwd
or do
 	lsof -i | less
 	netstat -an | less
 	ntsysv
and see if there are something that looks like tomcat and ask the list
again with that.

On other distros it can be different so if you tell us what
         uname -a
gives, it will help.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

Re: what is the command to find out whether or not Tomcat is installed on your server

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
I think you should clarify what you are trying to determine.

Are you asking for a command that will prove that Tomcat is (correctly)
installed? Or are you asking whether a given application is installed within
Tomcat? Or, do you really want to know if Tomcat is simply running at a
given moment?

After all, Tomcat might be correctly installed but still not have any
applications in it beyond the Manager applications and examples that come
with it. Are you simply trying to verify that the installation of Tomcat
worked? Or are you trying to determine if an application that you wrote and
installed in Tomcat was correctly installed?

The two questions may have somewhat different answers.

Also, what version of Tomcat are you using? The techniques may change a bit
from one version of Tomcat to the next.

--
Rhino