Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ko...@sipo.gess.ethz.ch on 2004/11/16 16:04:14 UTC

Mentor(s) required for a search engine project

Hello,
I am looking for a Mentor(s) for the following project.
We are developing a new open source search engine provisionally named "Locust" and are looking for an open source organization to host this project. The main features of Locust are:
*	 High performance - about one million documents per day on a Dell PowerEdge 2500 server, index size of up to ten million documents with fast search is successfully used.
*	 Integration of full-text search with directory assisted search (Yahoo style) is built in.
*	A multi-threaded Linux application written in C++ with STL.
Locust is based on complete rewriting of another open search engine ASPseek (http://www.aspseek.org/). The reason for rewriting was a dismal state of ASPseek code that made it impossible to develop it further. Whoever wrote it made a very good job on general architecture and features, but had no idea about software engineering. New code is reasonably clean and modular. Although it generally mimics the functionality of ASPseek (plus added integration with directories and better document set selection), it is possible now, due to its modular structure, to develop the code in many interesting direction, such as indexing document from different sources (in addition to the Web), creating distributed search services where many Locust based search engines cooperate via TCP/IP, etc.

I would be glad to provide more information to potential Mentors.

        Gregory Kozlovsky

Project Manager for Information Systems 		Tel: +41 (0)1 632 63 70
International Relations and Security Network (ISN)	Fax: +41 (0)1 632 14 13
Center for Security Studies 				Email: kozlovsky@sipo.gess.ethz.ch
ETH Zürich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich)	http://www.isn.ch/
Leonhardshalde 21, ETH-Zentrum / LEH
CH-8092 Zürich, Switzerland

Re: Mentor(s) required for a search engine project

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@freenet.de>.
kozlovsky@sipo.gess.ethz.ch wrote:

> I am looking for a Mentor(s) for the following project.

Gregory,

I am uncertain what you precisely mean: Are you looking for a sponsor in
terms of money? Do you want the Incubator project to adopt your project
and are looking for a mentor in terms of
   http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html

If the latter, you should begin to read
   http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
Note in particular the section on "Exitting the Incubator": This is,
what a project must ultimately fulfill to *exit* the incubator. In other
words, to *enter* the incubator, you should be as close as possible to
the final requirements. Are you able to put the code under the ASL? The
whole code? Is there an active community, that develops the project or
is it simply you? Is the community diverse?

If you believe, that the answer is "yes", then you should start to write
a formal proposal, that describes not only your project, but also how it
currently meets these guidelines. See http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
for examples. Indeed, you do not need a mentor so far.

The next step would be, that some existing Apache project (ideally the
incubator) accepts your proposal. That's where you start to need a
mentor. (Having worked with Harvest in the past and being disappointed
by the lack of support, that it had, I like the project and would
volunteer, if noone else steps forward.) However, you really should
start to clarify for yourself, whether you can meet the requirements in
the near future.

Jochen

--
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050423/1/5/1/+1

Re: Mentor(s) required for a search engine project

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
kozlovsky@sipo.gess.ethz.ch wrote:
> I would be glad to provide more information to potential Mentors.

to help people figure out whether this might be something to sponsor, i
suggest you provide answers to the questions in the incubation proposal
template. this would give the apache community a chance to understand
key issues like current community size of your project, goals etc.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html is a good
start.

good luck!

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Mentor(s) required for a search engine project

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
I am no potential sponsor but would like to see a comparison to Apache Jakarta
Lucene (http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html) which is implemented
in Java.

Andreas