Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/13 06:35:14 UTC

Build rollback

Hi All,

I was wondering if Continuum offers a way of automated rollback of a failed
build? This would be a very high priority requirement when using Continuum
on production systems, where in the event of a build failure, the continuous
integration tool would just revert back to the last successful build,
thereby avoiding a production outage.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

Re: Build rollback

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
In the event of a build failure, why would your continuous integration
tool even consider deploying it? When might you need this rollback in
real life?

I think the normal use case would be something along these lines:
build code, ok?
unit tests, ok?
integration tests, ok?
deploy somewhere (ideally not Prod yet), ok?
run some tests on the deployed app, ok?
deploy to Prod

If any of those steps fail, then you don't proceed to the next... So I
don't see how you'd ever get to the point of needing to rollback a
build via Continuum.

Unless of course you've deployed to Prod and found some disasterous
bug that you weren't able to test for in a previous step (or simply
don't have a QA/Test environment) and suddenly need to revert to a
previous build. But at that point, I don't see how you could ever
automate this without creating tests which you could/should run prior
to deploying to Prod...

Wayne

Re: Build rollback

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <cg...@israfil.net>.
Anoop kumar V wrote:
> I was wondering if Continuum offers a way of automated rollback of a
> failed
> build? This would be a very high priority requirement when using
> Continuum
> on production systems, where in the event of a build failure, the
> continuous
> integration tool would just revert back to the last successful build,
> thereby avoiding a production outage.
I'm not sure I understand what that means.  How would failing to build a
system in CI result in a production outage?  Please tell me you're not
auto-deploying your production system from a continuous integration
system!!

regards,
Christian.

--

*christian** gruber + process coach and architect*

*Israfil Consulting Services Corporation*

*email** cgruber@israfil.net + bus 905.640.1119 + mob 416.998.6023*