Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vladimir Lapshin <al...@isc.tsu.ru> on 2003/08/20 04:45:50 UTC

commit/import failed during non-ascii log text

Hi there! Within 0.27.0(from tarball), 0.26.0(ports) under FreeBSD I
have such situation:
---(from my issue-post)---
svn commit: russian chars(koi8-r) in log forces commit failure;
english chars pass well.
shell script to reproduse:
svnadmin create /usr/local/svn/repos1
mkdir ~/work && touch ~/work/file
cd ~/work
svn import ///usr/local/svn/repos1 // with log message in
russian(koi8-r codepage) [you can replay with any non-ascii chars, I
think] cousing:
"svn-commit.tmp" 4 lines, 63 characters
svn: Invalid argument
svn: failure during string recoding
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary
svn:    'svn-commit.tmp'
// if log message in ascii codepage, all is fine.
// btw, the same applyed to 'svn commit'
---(from my issue-post)---

------- Additional Comments From kfogel@tigris.org  2003-08-19 11:31 PDT -------
This is usually a locale problem.  Can you post it to
users@subversion.tigris.org?  If there turns out to be a real bug, we
can open an issue, but usually this sort of thing is just an
environment fix.

So, I sent my issue here...
Any comments, solutions, etc?...
I don't know what kfogel@tigris.org means, but
I want to log messages in my native language!

Re: commit/import failed during non-ascii log text

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 11:45 AM +0700 8/20/03, Vladimir Lapshin wrote:
>Hi there! Within 0.27.0(from tarball), 0.26.0(ports) under FreeBSD I
>have such situation:
>svn commit: russian chars(koi8-r) in log forces commit failure;
>svn import ///usr/local/svn/repos1 // with log message in
>russian(koi8-r codepage) [you can replay with any non-ascii chars, I
>think] cousing:
>"svn-commit.tmp" 4 lines, 63 characters
>svn: Invalid argument
>svn: failure during string recoding
>------- Additional Comments From kfogel@tigris.org  2003-08-19 11:31
>PDT -------
>This is usually a locale problem.

At 11:45 AM +0700 8/20/03, Vladimir Lapshin wrote:
>I don't know what kfogel@tigris.org means, but
>I want to log messages in my native language!

Well, I can tell you roughly what Karl means, but I don't know how to
resolve the problem.

Karl's "locale" means "whatever you do to tell the editor that these
characters are in the koi8-r codepage is not also getting to the svn
client."  The  bad part of codepages is that any given codepage can
only represent a few languages; the good part of Unicode (including
UTF-8) is that it can represent any. The message about "recoding"
refers to the fact that SVN converts such input into UTF-8 (a way of
encoding Unicode).  By converting to Unicodde, Subversion ensures
that your Cyrillic characters can be displayed on anyone's system,
even if they're configured for French or Chinese (or English).  But
the one weak point is: when converting from the codepage to Unicode,
Subversion is still dealing with the codepage, and so it has to know
which codepage to use: you have to tell it.  Something might be
broken in this arrangement on your system; something might be broken
in svn's handling.

--
-==-
Jack Repenning