Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Aditi Sinha <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/18 11:29:49 UTC

Single Tomcat instance scalability

Hi All,

We have a web server hosted on Apache Tomcat Version 7.0.32.

It is a single Tomcat instance on 64 bit windows.  Server.xml has two
connectors: The ssl connector is HTTP NIO and the non-ssl connector is HTTP
BIO.

We are trying to achieve vertical scalability and would like to increase
the concurrent users (~10000) based on the given hardware.

Is there any recommendation for maxThreads for single Tomcat instance?

Any other recommendations for scaling single Tomcat instance?

Thanks & Regards,

Aditi

Re: Single Tomcat instance scalability

Posted by Aditi Sinha <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks alot Chris and Mark.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/01/2013 10:37, chris derham wrote:
>> We have a web server hosted on Apache Tomcat Version 7.0.32.
>>
>> It is a single Tomcat instance on 64 bit windows.  Server.xml has two
>> connectors: The ssl connector is HTTP NIO and the non-ssl connector is HTTP
>> BIO.
>>
>> We are trying to achieve vertical scalability and would like to increase
>> the concurrent users (~10000) based on the given hardware.
>>
>> Is there any recommendation for maxThreads for single Tomcat instance?
>>
>> Any other recommendations for scaling single Tomcat instance?
>>
> The recommendations are to take an out of the box installation of
> tomcat, and run a load test. Through monitoring establish where the
> performance bottle neck is. Then make a single fix, and run the load
> test again. If there is an improvement, repeat until you achieve
> desired performance or you can't improve things anymore. If you hit
> this, post to tomcat forum and maybe somebody can help.
>
> There is no magical setting that will enable your app to run with
> 10,000 users. Each app is different. Each app will have different
> performance characteristics. The only solution is to load test as
> above

+1 but I'd switch the HTTP connector to the NIO as well.

Mark

Re: Single Tomcat instance scalability

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.
> We have a web server hosted on Apache Tomcat Version 7.0.32.
>
> It is a single Tomcat instance on 64 bit windows.  Server.xml has two
> connectors: The ssl connector is HTTP NIO and the non-ssl connector is HTTP
> BIO.
>
> We are trying to achieve vertical scalability and would like to increase
> the concurrent users (~10000) based on the given hardware.
>
> Is there any recommendation for maxThreads for single Tomcat instance?
>
> Any other recommendations for scaling single Tomcat instance?

The recommendations are to take an out of the box installation of
tomcat, and run a load test. Through monitoring establish where the
performance bottle neck is. Then make a single fix, and run the load
test again. If there is an improvement, repeat until you achieve
desired performance or you can't improve things anymore. If you hit
this, post to tomcat forum and maybe somebody can help.

There is no magical setting that will enable your app to run with
10,000 users. Each app is different. Each app will have different
performance characteristics. The only solution is to load test as
above

Good luck

Chris