Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by John Wong <go...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/20 21:45:57 UTC

OpsCenter metrics growth can relates to compactions?

Hi.

We are using the open source version of OpsCenter. We find it useful, but
the disk space for OpsCenter metrics has been increasing and can sometime
outgrow to 30-50G in a matter of a day or two. We do have a lot of
keyspaces and column families.

Usually this dev cluster is quiet on the weekend except for some QA jobs or
our weekend primary read-repair. Most importantly, I truncated all rollups
early this morning and during a big compaction (with hundreds of pending
tasks at one point), the metrics grew to ~13G. Can I say compaction
activities can increase the metric disk usage growth significantly? I have
seen this behavior quite often with compaction.

Thanks.

John

Re: OpsCenter metrics growth can relates to compactions?

Posted by Sebastian Estevez <se...@datastax.com>.

> We do have a lot of keyspaces and column families.

Be careful as c* (not just opscenter) will not run well with too many
tables. Usually 2 or 3 hundred is a good upper bound though I've seen folks
throw money at the problem and run more with special hardware (lots of RAM).

Most importantly, I truncated all rollups early this morning and during a
> big compaction (with hundreds of pending tasks at one point), the metrics
> grew to ~13G. Can I say compaction activities can increase the metric disk
> usage growth significantly? I have seen this behavior quite often with
> compaction.

This is normal especially with size tiered compaction.

Since it's metrics data, you can always decrease your ttl on the OpsCenter
tables, blacklist some keyspaces or tables, or keep truncating.

http://docs.datastax.com/en/opscenter/5.2/opsc/configure/opscMetricsConfig_r.html

All the best,

[image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>

Sebastián Estévez

Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 | sebastian.estevez@datastax.com

[image: linkedin.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax> [image:
facebook.png] <https://www.facebook.com/datastax> [image: twitter.png]
<https://twitter.com/datastax> [image: g+.png]
<https://plus.google.com/+Datastax/about>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/datastax>
<http://goog_410786983>

<http://www.datastax.com/gartner-magic-quadrant-odbms>

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.