Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Peng, Wei" <We...@xerox.com> on 2011/09/20 22:12:26 UTC

cannot start namenode

Hi,

I was copying some files from an old cluster to a new cluster.

When it failed copying, I was not watching it. (I think over 85% of data
has been transferred).

The name node crashed, and I cannot restarted it.

I got the following error when I try to restart the namenode

Hadoop-daemon.sh: line 114: echo: write error: No space left on device.

Does someone know how to fix this problem ? I am in urgent need to
restart this cluster...

Thanks a lot

Wei

RE: cannot start namenode

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.
Possibly a stupid question but have you done a "df -h" on the namenode to verify that you didn't somehow fill up all of the free space on that mount? I can imagine that it would blow up if it was not able to initiate the namenode log for that session (and could potentially explain why it crashed in the first place).

Matt

I was copying some files from an old cluster to a new cluster.

When it failed copying, I was not watching it. (I think over 85% of data
has been transferred).

The name node crashed, and I cannot restarted it.

I got the following error when I try to restart the namenode

Hadoop-daemon.sh: line 114: echo: write error: No space left on device.

Does someone know how to fix this problem ? I am in urgent need to
restart this cluster...

Thanks a lot

Wei

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all