Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Brian M Dube <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/11 06:55:30 UTC

Use case: Forrest or Cocoon?

The message below describes my experience with Forrest 0.7.

Over the past few months I've been working to convert a site--built by
someone else with Dreamweaver--to Forrest. Lately I find myself
revisiting the question of what the goal really is. I initially chose
Forrest over Cocoon because I misunderstood that Cocoon is used only as
a servlet (similar to Forrest's dynamic mode as in 'forrest run') and
this is not easily accomplished in our current hosting environment. I
now see that Cocoon offers several methods to achieve offline or static
generation of content. My question then is what do I gain by using Forrest?

This question surely depends on the use case, so I will try to describe
that now. My goal is to separate content from presentation. The current
material is a nightmare to maintain when you have to dig through
presentational markup to find the content you need to edit. This is the
same reason that a new global layout or look to the site is no trivial
task. I chose Forrest thinking that I could use the content of the old
site and format it as XML of some sort, and then use stylesheets to
render the site as it appears now--the difference being that it would be
much easier to maintain. So far, with a custom skin, this is working. I
can reproduce the site in Forrest with my custom skin and life goes on.
But I have to wonder if I'm on the right track.

To summarize my use case, I maintain a site that is a real mess. Layout
is accomplished with tables and other presentational markup that was
already deprecated when the site was designed. Do I gain anything by
using Forrest rather than Cocoon directly?

Thank you,
Brian

Re: Use case: Forrest or Cocoon?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Michael Conneen wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Interesting question.   You COULD natively do in Cocoon what Forrest
> does for you.. but.. that is what Forrest does!     To me, Forrest is
> an XML standards based documentation framework built upon Cocoon.
> There are are numerous plugins (pdf, png, forms, etc.) that you can
> simply plug in and use within the Forrest framework.  If you want to
> render the site statically, then create your source (either by editing
> the raw XML.. or.. more likely having other utilities generate it for
> you) and then task Forrest to generate it for you.. or you can have it
> dynamically generated from the Cocoon based Forrest Webapp.
>
> So.. in short.. it depends on your needs.  From what you described, it
> sounds as if you are certainly on the right track.

This is a very good overview.

Forrest is closer to what the original Cocoon was,an XML publishing
engine. Cocoon has evolved into a complete web framework.

Since Forrest has a tighter focus, it is much simpler to set up and use.
It is kind of a "simple cocoon" that only includes the Cocoon
functionality to publish content.

Generally speaking, if you do not want to create dynamic content then
use Forrest. If you need dynamic content use Cocoon.

However, since Forrest is itself a Cocoon application, it is possible to
migrate from a Forrest site to a Cocoon application as your project
requirements change. This will become increasingly easy as the Cocoon
blocks implementation matures.

Ross

Re: Use case: Forrest or Cocoon?

Posted by Michael Conneen <mc...@infointegrators.com>.

Brian,

Interesting question.   You COULD natively do in Cocoon what Forrest
does for you.. but.. that is what Forrest does!     To me, Forrest is
an XML standards based documentation framework built upon Cocoon.
There are are numerous plugins (pdf, png, forms, etc.) that you can
simply plug in and use within the Forrest framework.  If you want to
render the site statically, then create your source (either by editing
the raw XML.. or.. more likely having other utilities generate it for
you) and then task Forrest to generate it for you.. or you can have it
dynamically generated from the Cocoon based Forrest Webapp.

So.. in short.. it depends on your needs.  From what you described, it
sounds as if you are certainly on the right track.

Kind Regards,

Michael L. Conneen
Information Integrators, Inc.
http://www.infointegrators.com