Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/07/06 09:40:07 UTC

Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Ted Leung wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> If XML.Apache is willing, as it seems, to cater for this project, I'll
>> wait for a vote from them, an ACK from the Bea guys, and start
>> preparing the hatcher :-)
>>
> I'm happy to invest some time in helping XMLBean get throught the
> incubator -- speaking with my XML PMC and ASF member hat on.

The idea of moving XMLBeans to incubation under the XML project and with
the assistance of Ted gets a +1 from me with some caveats :

1.  Current XMLBeans committers need to be comfortable with this resting
with the XML project in the first instance.  Note that I would hope that
the umbrella project could be changed prior to exit from incubation if
the feeling from the committers was that it should be.

If the initial preference is Jakarta then please indicate!  I'm
definitely not trying to push a line here, and it's easy to switch the
vote over to the Jakarta PMC :>.

2.  Committer issues that have previously been discussed will need to be
worked through during incubation (although that's really what incubation
is about :>).

+/- from other XML PMC members welcome.

Further discussion also welcome!

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.

> If Cliff is able to communicate BEA's preference, and the LGPL Piccolo
> issue is resolved, it seems like we're heading somewhere. Attracting
> new committers is easier when the project is already under incubation.

Agreed.

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.

Re: XML Beans advertised on Jakarta ... Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/9/03 1:49 PM, "robert burrell donkin"
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> I'd object to that personally.  We link projects which were in Jakarta
>> historically and have become top level projects, but we do not link all of
>> the XML projects.  I'd object to that not only on practical concerns but
>> with the logic "Then I'd like POI linked from the XML site" ;-)
>
> why shouldn't POI be linked from the XML site as well as the jakarta one?

Maybe because its not an XML project under the XML PMC and has never been
such?  Maybe because the leftnav would get very long if every project on
Apache was listed on the every other one?  Though its fine with me... ;-)

> - robert

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: XML Beans advertised on Jakarta ... Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> XMLBeans feels (to me) like a jakarta component but if xml are happy to
> manage it, i'd say that it'd probably work out easier that way. there isn'
> t any reason why XMLBeans couldn't be visible on the jakarta website and
> as part of the jakarta community (which seem to be the main advantages
> which components see in joining jakarta) whilst being managed by the xml
> pmc (which would host their site and primary link).

I'd object to that personally.  We link projects which were in Jakarta
historically and have become top level projects, but we do not link all of
the XML projects.  I'd object to that not only on practical concerns but
with the logic "Then I'd like POI linked from the XML site" ;-)

-andy

> - robert

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

XML Beans advertised on Jakarta ... Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> XMLBeans feels (to me) like a jakarta component but if xml are happy to
> manage it, i'd say that it'd probably work out easier that way. there isn'
> t any reason why XMLBeans couldn't be visible on the jakarta website and
> as part of the jakarta community (which seem to be the main advantages
> which components see in joining jakarta) whilst being managed by the xml
> pmc (which would host their site and primary link).

I'd object to that personally.  We link projects which were in Jakarta
historically and have become top level projects, but we do not link all of
the XML projects.  I'd object to that not only on practical concerns but
with the logic "Then I'd like POI linked from the XML site" ;-)

-andy

> - robert

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 6/07/2003 16:56 Aleksander Slominski wrote:

> It seems that BEA folks are willing to solve all remaining problems and
> I think that it would be good if this project quickly gained more
> mementum and I am willing to help with it (even though I am not Apache
> XML commiter)

This proposal is still lacking a better mix of BEA- and non-BEA
committers, so it seems like your offer to help comes at a good time. ;-)

FWIW: I would suggest XMLBeans to be incubated inside the XML project,
although Jakarta would be equally fine as well.

If Cliff is able to communicate BEA's preference, and the LGPL Piccolo
issue is resolved, it seems like we're heading somewhere. Attracting new
committers is easier when the project is already under incubation.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Ted Leung wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>> If XML.Apache is willing, as it seems, to cater for this project,
>>> I'll wait for a vote from them, an ACK from the Bea guys, and start
>>> preparing the hatcher :-)
>>>
>> I'm happy to invest some time in helping XMLBean get throught the
>> incubator -- speaking with my XML PMC and ASF member hat on.
>

> The idea of moving XMLBeans to incubation under the XML project and
> with the assistance of Ted gets a +1 from me with some caveats :
>
> 1. Current XMLBeans committers need to be comfortable with this
> resting with the XML project in the first instance. Note that I would
> hope that the umbrella project could be changed prior to exit from
> incubation if the feeling from the committers was that it should be.
>
> If the initial preference is Jakarta then please indicate! I'm
> definitely not trying to push a line here, and it's easy to switch the
> vote over to the Jakarta PMC :>.
>
> 2. Committer issues that have previously been discussed will need to
> be worked through during incubation (although that's really what
> incubation is about :>).
>
> +/- from other XML PMC members welcome.
>
> Further discussion also welcome!

hi,

based on what I have seen when looking on XMLBeans source code and
(limited) design documentation I beleive that this project is very
interesting and useful for Web Services so I have CCed general@ws
mailing list too.

It seems that BEA folks are willing to solve all remaining problems and
I think that it would be good if this project quickly gained more
mementum and I am willing to help with it (even though I am not Apache
XML commiter)

thanks,

alek

--
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. —Mario Andretti

Re: Vote for XMLBeans proposal

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.