Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Ismael Touama <is...@install.fr> on 2002/07/05 12:41:19 UTC

I don't manage understanding the way global.asa's working

Hi Everyone,

I manage cutting the error I get with Application_onStart!
in my error_log [PerlSetVar] , I'm know searching for Session_OnStart!
(I guees I'll manage *I'm reading the JC OSS convention)...

I'm asking for some good *EXPLICIT* link or doc to understand
the way global.asa is working. It seems totally diferent from
on IIS...

Thanks for helps, stuffs...
bbsc
ism

RE: I don't manage understanding the way global.asa's working

Posted by Ismael Touama <is...@install.fr>.
> The next thing I do (after -event.html- *again*) is installing
> MySQL and then try to make work my existent ASP app turning on IIS.
> Own global.asa and vbscript transcripted into perl.
> I guess it's the better thing I have to do. After that, I may be more
> accurate on my crazy, stupid, or what remarks...

Right.  When actually working with Apache::ASP will you discover
its benefits and limitations.  When running into a design challenge,
you might ask the list for how others might approach things, but
you should think through the problems fully before posting for
best results.

$ Right too.
$ I don't have enough experience and experience of approach,
$ It's maybe why I can pass for a kind of newbie or lammer or
$ whatever f****n' thing...I'm less than one year *experienced*,
$ so my approach is not really consistent, and judicious as far
$ as I can compare on the net.
$ However I try to push the problem before asking, *simply* to
$ understand what I do. Except when it's emergency case.
$ So let's see us in few days ;op
$ After that I hope I'll can disturb you (;op)...really

$ Good work, good week-end & nice job
$ thx again

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Ismael Touama wrote:
> Hi-again and thanks for answer...
>
> Even if it is in error_log, I don't see here the interest
> to put this as an error...It disturbing me and that's all.
> I certainly ask before kind of weird and non-accurate question.
> I'll see events.html but I don't know if it's because of my non-
> natural language but I have a lot of trouble with the whole doc!
> (it's not a criticize thing, it's because i feel i spend a lot of
> time on...without much understood).

There are 2 standard log files for Apache, access_log & error_log.
While I could have created a custom asp_log for Apache::ASP
to put messages into, I did not want to create yet another
log file for management.  The only mod_perl API for getting
consistent messages into the error_log was $r->log_error,
so that is what I used.  I could have certainly used some
custom "print STDERR $message" kind of thing to get messages
in there, but I wanted this to be consistent with other
messages going to the error_log, so access it via the API.

> The next thing I do (after -event.html- *again*) is installing
> MySQL and then try to make work my existent ASP app turning on IIS.
> Own global.asa and vbscript transcripted into perl.
> I guess it's the better thing I have to do. After that, I may be more
> accurate on my crazy, stupid, or what remarks...

Right.  When actually working with Apache::ASP will you discover
its benefits and limitations.  When running into a design challenge,
you might ask the list for how others might approach things, but
you should think through the problems fully before posting for
best results.

--Josh

RE: I don't manage understanding the way global.asa's working

> I manage cutting the error I get with Application_onStart!
> in my error_log [PerlSetVar] , I'm know searching for Session_OnStart!
> (I guees I'll manage *I'm reading the JC OSS convention)...
>
> I'm asking for some good *EXPLICIT* link or doc to understand
> the way global.asa is working. It seems totally diferent from
> on IIS...

This is the best there is so far:

   http://www.apache-asp.org/events.html

[[ from other email ]]

 > in fact it wasn't an error isn't it ?
 > I put in rem the $Response->AppendToLog
 > lines from the global.asa.

The [error] is a side effect of Apache->log_error
being used internally.  I believe I answered a question
like this from you before, what is different here that
you are trying to clarify?

 > What is the pedagogic aim of this ?
 > Showing that the object can attempt the log
 > files ? So why it put this as an error ?
 > It can lead in a bad way the new guy's learning
 > the stuff...
 > Thank you,

So what's the problem here?  That there is [error]
in the error_log messages?  This is just how it works.

--Josh

Re: I don't manage understanding the way global.asa's working

Posted by Josh Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.