Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Cornia <rc...@utah.gov> on 2003/12/04 19:09:23 UTC

Upgrade from 4.1.29 to 5.0.16, logging is too verbose?

I was running tomcat 4.1.29 with a log4j jar in the
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib folder and a log4j.properties file in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/classes folder. This worked fine, and kept the log
messages at the level I wanted them.

When I installed 5.0.16, I put the log4j jar and properties file in the
same locations listed above, but now when tomcat starts, it spits out a
ton of INFO: messages into catalina.out, so I don't think it is actually
using the log4j configuration.

Any ideas on what might have changed? Is this how I should setup log4j
to be used within tomcat?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Installation Problem - Service wont start

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
The only way is to delete the service and re-install:
  tomcat //DS//Tomcat5
  cd %new-tomcat-path%
  tomcat(w) //IS//Tomcat5 <install-options-here>

For most other things, the easiest is to use the GUI with:
  tomcatw //ES//Tomcat5

which will allow you to change almost all of the options painlessly.  The
changes take effect the next time the service is started.

Re: Upgrade from 4.1.29 to 5.0.16, logging is too verbose?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.
Ryan Cornia wrote:

> I was running tomcat 4.1.29 with a log4j jar in the
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib folder and a log4j.properties file in
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes folder. This worked fine, and kept the log
> messages at the level I wanted them.
>
> When I installed 5.0.16, I put the log4j jar and properties file in the
> same locations listed above, but now when tomcat starts, it spits out a
> ton of INFO: messages into catalina.out, so I don't think it is actually
> using the log4j configuration.
>
> Any ideas on what might have changed? Is this how I should setup log4j
> to be used within tomcat?

Tomcat 5 only supplies the c-l API, and put it in the system classpath,
to avoid the problems with c-l seen in Tomcat 4.1.

You have to supply the commons-logging wrapper for log4j (it's in the
default c-l JAR), and put it next to the log4j JAR. Otherwise, I think
log4j won't get used.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat