Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/02 17:26:23 UTC

How to switch web service providers?

I made the plugin system support the condition expressions we've been
using to select a web service container but I can't see how to make
it work usefully so I wonder if we need a new approach.

Previously the conditions for axis2 and cxf we different in the jetty
and tomcat servers, so cxf was on by default for jetty and axis2 for
tomcat.  However now these conditions are specified in the axis2 and
cxf deployer plugins, so when installed they are going to be the same
for jetty and tomcat.  I guess we could come up with yet more
complicated expressions that took into account whether we are on
jetty or tomcat but this seems like its getting ridiculous and we
need another way.

Here are a few ideas.

1. More assemblies.  I don't think anyone really wants this.

2. gshell commands to set the web service container.  I guess we
could run this on say the tomcat assembly to switch it to axis2
before we pack it up.  Well, actually we could use this so we only
ship one server and use such commands to turn it into a jetty or
tomcat server.

3. gshell commands to remove sets of unneeded plugins: this would
more permanently convert a server to axis2 or cxf only.  However I
think this is fairly appropriate.  Again this could be used to get
all non-framework servers out of one big distro.

4. gshell commands to download and install specific servers starting
from framework.

I'd actually like the gshell commands for 2,3,4 anyway but I'm
wondering if any of them will actually provide a good solution for
this problem.

thoughts?  Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks

Re: How to switch web service providers?

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@jnwd.net>.
I also like 2, 3, and 4.  But with a twist, setting up server
configuration 'templates' and allowing users to do the same.  Then
allowing the user/administrator to change which template their server
should morph to.

We would supply templates for all of our default builds (essentially a
copy of the config.xml that would have been supplied with the server
build) and once a user had configured their server the way they wanted
to, they would be able to export the current config.xml as a template.

Then we would have gshell command(s) that would download whatever
plugins were needed and twist the config.xml to match the selected
server configuration.

This is a little bigger than just changing the web service container -
But I think it could have some very cool uses.

Jay

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.