Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/28 19:48:10 UTC

Hello again!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to (re)introduce myself after a 3 year or so hiatus :)

I used to be an active member of the group between 2011 and 2013 when
I was on the Adobe PhoneGap team. I took a 3 year detour focusing on
mobile testing infrastructure at Sauce Labs, but recently rejoined the
Adobe PhoneGap team. I have been lurking more intently on this list
for the past month or so and aim to be more involved these days.

I've been poking around and getting my bearings around the testing
suites, infrastructure and CI in Cordova the past week or so. I think
I will try to contribute in that area initially. In particular, I am
interested in enabling functional end-to-end testing for all repos in
cordova that could benefit from that sort of testing, and seamlessly
integrating running the tests and reporting their results back into
the standard Cordova dev workflow (I assume that is focussed around
GitHub?). I see there are different kinds of test coverage and CI
systems at play (cloudapp, travis, appveyor, plus unit and functional
tests), so initially just wrapping my head around all that.

If anyone here has suggestions on areas that need work, have
grievances around how they are frustrated by manually needing to test
something, or having any other helpful tips on what needs work or what
could be improved, feel free to reply to this thread!

My generic notes on this topic so far, in case that is helpful:

cordova testing overview
———————————
notes / weird things:
 - cordova-paramedic configs are pulled from cordova-medic repo. (?)
requires an extra pull in CI.
 - paramedic setup for individual plugins install latest HEAD of
master of platform code (at least, cordova-android + device plugin)
 - there are plugins tests that run via a jenkins instance on
cloudapp.net, and there are travis tests too. travis is pull-req
triggered, cloud app runs nightly. why?

road to testing utopia:
 - how do platforms get tested? integration tests with what: tooling? plugins?
   - unit tests run on travis/appveyor?
   - understand what needs to be tested for a release. work backwards
to automate that from there. Steve sent some helpful links my way:
     - platform:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/platforms-release-process.md#testing
     - plugins:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/plugins-release-process.md#test
     - tools: https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/tools-release-process.md#test
 - how do plugins get tested?
   - make sure dependencies / artifact versions are locked down.
   - what is the difference between "local" vs appium tests

Looking forward to collaborating with y'all in here once more :)

Cheers,
Fil

Re: Hello again!

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.
Welcome back Fil!

Re: Hello again!

Posted by Filip Maj <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification Alexander! I think I got confused between
the PR and periodic builds. I see in the periodic builds, indeed the
job is cloning down the relevant platform and using the latest HEAD
from master. In the PR builds, the logs are sparser and don't
explicitly log out versions of dependent libraries consumed, so I will
assume you are right!

I have one more question: how does everyone feel about cordova-qa's
GitHub comments with test results (passing example: [1], failing
example: [2])? What about integrating these kinds of checks into the
GitHub UI for per-commit checks (this is the green checkmark you'll
see in GH UI)? I'm probably missing a reason why it is integrated in
this way, so forgive me if it's a naive question :)

It looks like Travis test runs are integrated using the GitHub
pass/fail integrations / UI. I'm wondering why not the Jenkins tests?
I believe we can set up the integration such that each discrete check
(i.e. a specific plugin/platform combination) can set up as a separate
check, posting a separate result. Might be less confusing / less "made
in house" than a custom QA bot? Just a thought. Currently, the 'fail'
comment from cordova-qa requires contributors to click through all the
various links to figure out which particular platform errored out. By
splitting the checks out, it would make that more apparent more
immediately.

I think the UI as viewed from GitHub would be cleaner: from the pull
req list it would be instantly visible which PRs are passing and which
are failing, and the merge instructions could be simplified to "if the
green check mark shows up, merge away", instead of right now needing
to wait for both the green checkmark representing Travis + cordova-qa
bot comment.

It's a UI nitpick but I think it might improve the contribution
experience. Feel free to shoot me down or direct me to more pressing
issues :D

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-device/pull/58#issuecomment-263793786
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-camera/pull/131#issuecomment-263013516

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM,  <al...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi again Filip, you are most welcome!
>
>>> - cordova-paramedic configs are pulled from cordova-medic repo.
>>> (?) requires an extra pull in CI.
> Yeah. This is kind of rudimentary thing, I think we can safely transfer them to cordova-paramedic repo. This will require some Jenkins jobs changes, I can assist with that.
>
>> >  - paramedic setup for individual plugins install latest HEAD of
>> > master of platform code (at least, cordova-android + device plugin)
> What makes you think so? I double-checked, our current CI setup for per-PR jobs is using the released versions of all the platforms. Master versions are used only for periodic build.
>
>> >  - there are plugins tests that run via a jenkins instance on
>> > cloudapp.net, and there are travis tests too. travis is pull-req
>> > triggered, cloud app runs nightly. why?
> Regarding cloudapp (Jenkins) builds:
> The goal of nightly tests is to verify the master versions of plugins against the master versions of platforms and CLI. We also run per-PR jobs against the released versions of platform and CLI, you can find them here:
> http://cordova-ci.cloudapp.net:8080/view/Pull%20requests/
>
> Feel free to contact me via email or Slack if you have any questions regarding our current CI setup or need an assistance.
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander Sorokin

RE: Hello again!

Posted by al...@apache.org.