Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/15 21:11:27 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Re: Roadmap, tasks and things to do?]

Hi Calvin,
this is a great discussion, we need more people to jump in.
I put some comments inline.

Calvin Austin wrote:
> Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> Hi Calvin,
>> I saw your prev note, good follow up. It is in my TO DO list to reply :)
>> I had planned to cover not just JBoss but also WebLogic, iPlanet,
>> Oracle AS and Websphere. Again, that was my original plan but then I
>> saw the need for expanding to other topics and I could not keep up the
>> pace with my original idea for migration.
>> I was also expecting to get more people involved in the doc.
>

> JBoss would have been my first choice too, I've met a few JBoss users
> who would like to move if they had the opportunity.
>

>> It would be great if we can continue the work on the migration area.
>> I've done several migrations in the past (across vendors and
>> platforms) and would really like to continue develoing this section
>> but  I am not having the time. I am now trying to focus on the hot
>> topics discussed on the dev list.
>

> Just reading the dev list is a task!
>

>> What is your idea to take back on the migration section
>

> I have a couple of ideas, 1) Help fill in any gaps in your current
> migration docs 2) I have 'access' for a better choice of words to a
> partner who is going to go through some real life migrations, I want to
> capture all that information and propose a tool if the work is too
> manual 3) start placeholders for the other apps servers and work through
> at least two

What platform are you planning to start migrating from?

I wrote a book based on a migration experience from a customer, it was a great experience for
everybody but I would count customer migrations as "Case studies" instead of adding them to a
subsection in the general "Migrating to Apahe Geronimo" section.

Migration tools/plugins are another great idea. I have used a few plugins in Rational for migrating
CMPs but could not find a way to automate the migration for the rest of the sample apps.

Feel free to add the place holders (and content) :) in the migration section. Let me know if you
need a hand with confluence.

Cheers!
Hernan