Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com> on 2022/06/10 15:55:35 UTC

problem using maven to gpg-sign artifacts

I am having trouble signing maven artifacts. The details of the problem
are described at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-23348. The
maven error message is terse. No additional useful information comes
back when I run the maven command with -e and -X switches. I haven't
found any useful information on the web.

My environment is as follows:

   Mac OSX 11.2.3
   Apache Maven 3.5.0
   gpg (GnuPG) 2.3.6 (libgcrypt 1.10.1)
   openjdk version "11" 2018-09-25

This is the command which fails...

   mvn -Dgpg.passphrase="blah blah blah my passphrase" clean deploy

...and this is the error message I see:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-gpg-plugin:1.3:sign (sign-artifacts) on
project derby-project: Exit code: 2 -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-gpg-plugin:1.3:sign
(sign-artifacts) on project derby-project: Exit code: 2

I would appreciate any advice you can give me about how to debug this
problem.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: problem using maven to gpg-sign artifacts

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Karl. Upgrading to the latest version of Maven and the gpg
plugin did the trick. I am still getting peer authentication errors on
some uploads, but I suspect that is a server problem and not a maven
issue. Much appreciated.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Rick,

On 10.06.22 17:55, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I am having trouble signing maven artifacts. The details of the problem
> are described at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-23348. The
> maven error message is terse. No additional useful information comes
> back when I run the maven command with -e and -X switches. I haven't
> found any useful information on the web.
>
> My environment is as follows:
>
>    Mac OSX 11.2.3
>    Apache Maven 3.5.0
>    gpg (GnuPG) 2.3.6 (libgcrypt 1.10.1)
>    openjdk version "11" 2018-09-25
>
> This is the command which fails...
>
>    mvn -Dgpg.passphrase="blah blah blah my passphrase" clean deploy
>
> ...and this is the error message I see:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-gpg-plugin:1.3:sign (sign-artifacts) on
> project derby-project: Exit code: 2 -> [Help 1]
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
> execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-gpg-plugin:1.3:sign
> (sign-artifacts) on project derby-project: Exit code: 2
>
> I would appreciate any advice you can give me about how to debug this
> problem.

The first and important thing is that you should upgrade your
maven-gpg-plugin version because 1.3 is very old (ten years old)..

https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-gpg-plugin/

Kind regard
Karl Heinz Marbaise