Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org> on 2018/03/29 17:22:38 UTC

Using Slack for online discussions

How does the community think about using ASF Slack for online discussions?

The Beam project started to use it recently and it seems to work quite well
[1] [2].

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1bee60193823a8411dcfad7a6de695ac1d779ae5d14f7b954ffa5961@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b82871dc16b63a4e74cd6373405361dfbd75810073f98542ba82ed41@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Using Slack for online discussions

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
-1

I would also be in favour of not adding a Slack channel. I see that it can be useful for people because it's a little more direct but I think that having Slack open and also receiving questions and contacts from people there adds more burden on developers that we shouldn't add. Plus, I think having a searchable mail archive is really nice and moving some discussion to slack breaks that.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by TechnoMage <ml...@technomage.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.