Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "M.D. DeWar" <ma...@s-wit.net> on 2003/11/14 17:52:44 UTC

[users@httpd] user/group setup for files in document and cgi dirs

Hello
I think I may have asked this before but don't recall and not sure if it was
on this list.
It says to run the apache daemon as nobody user and a nobody group.
That is done.

My questions concern the files in the cgi-bin and the document root.

Should those files be run as nobody.nobody also ?
Or do they need to be root.wheel (I don't think so but being a newbie I am
not sure.) or some other user group ?
I have some programs I installed and the user group does not exsist and they
seem to run. So kinda confused.

Thanks
Mark

Re: [users@httpd] user/group setup for files in document and cgi dirs

Posted by "M.D. DeWar" <ma...@s-wit.net>.
Thanks.
one quickie.
Since its alreayd installed and running will doing the chmod/chown it
suggest cuz me problems with already running programs/services etc ?

thanks
mark
Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Luis Gallegos <lg...@todo1.com>.
You wrote:
Should those files be run as nobody.nobody also ?

The files in the cgi-bin directory can be from any owner, but it is
better that they be from nobody.
Thee only thing these files need to execute is execution permissions. To
acomplish this for a cgi file, execute:
chmod 755 Your-cgi-file

	Luis