Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Steven Saksa <st...@stelligent.com> on 2009/12/16 22:39:07 UTC

Mirroring Maven2 Repo...

To whom it may concern,
   I am currently working at National Cancer Institute.   They have a policy
related to build processes that all resources used to build code at NCI need
to be hosted locally.  Several months ago we started rsyncing the ibiblio
mirror site locally (rsync -v -t -l -r  --exclude=**/.svn
mirrors.ibiblio.org::maven2 .).  Anyway all was going well until recently
when I noticed that no files were being synced. I compared the
repo1.maven.org with the ibiblio one and it looks like there were updates
there that were not at ibiblio.   I was hoping we could find a site to rsync
off of with out becoming an official mirror.  I was hoping someone here can
help me out.  Once you have the initial rsync done it is not a huge amount
of load to just do daily or weekly updates (I know building the file list
for rsync can be a bit resource intensive).  I am also going to look into
being an official mirror her but I am think I will not get it to fly.  It is
very hard to find sites to mirror documentation is way down deep in the
maven site and my google searches are not turning up much.  Thanks in
advance for you help.
 Steve Saksa

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/?C=M;O=A
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
--
Steven S. Saksa
Automated Build and Deployment Engineer

703 798 8277 (cell)
steven.saksa@stelligent.com (google im/email)

Re: Mirroring Maven2 Repo...

Posted by manfred <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
I totally agree. Apart from saving you lots of bandwidth a repository manager
will also allow you to host artifacts that can not live on repo1 like
proprietary jdbc drivers and so on. You will also be able to release your
internal libraries to it and therefore share them better amongst your team and
your ci servers.

I have had great experience with Nexus. Go for it.

manfred

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:12:28 +0000, Stephen Connolly wrote
> Far better is just to run a maven repository manager at your site.
>
> e.g. nexus, artifactory, etc
>
> They are easy to set up (at least I find nexus trivial)
>
> They will permanently cache all the artifacts that you use, which should
> meet your requirements and save you from chasing the 70GB+ of rsync
>
> -Stephen
>
> 2009/12/16 Steven Saksa <st...@stelligent.com>
>
> > To whom it may concern,
> >   I am currently working at National Cancer Institute.   They have a policy
> > related to build processes that all resources used to build code at NCI
> > need
> > to be hosted locally.  Several months ago we started rsyncing the ibiblio
> > mirror site locally (rsync -v -t -l -r  --exclude=**/.svn
> > mirrors.ibiblio.org::maven2 .).  Anyway all was going well until recently
> > when I noticed that no files were being synced. I compared the
> > repo1.maven.org with the ibiblio one and it looks like there were updates
> > there that were not at ibiblio.   I was hoping we could find a site to
> > rsync
> > off of with out becoming an official mirror.  I was hoping someone here can
> > help me out.  Once you have the initial rsync done it is not a huge amount
> > of load to just do daily or weekly updates (I know building the file list
> > for rsync can be a bit resource intensive).  I am also going to look into
> > being an official mirror her but I am think I will not get it to fly.  It
> > is
> > very hard to find sites to mirror documentation is way down deep in the
> > maven site and my google searches are not turning up much.  Thanks in
> > advance for you help.
> >  Steve Saksa
> >
> > http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/?C=M;O=A
> > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/