Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Objelean Alex <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/01 10:40:03 UTC

Wicket and (or) restlet

I'm curious what are the community thoughts about restlet. Have you used
this framework? Can wicket & restlet work together? Have you had any
experience with it?

Thank you!

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I love Jersey,
Once you get the very simple model it works like a charm with non of
the hocus-pocus that restlets have.

I do use it with Wicket projects, but I have not yet had to integrate
the two because usually where I have a service I want to expose I
don't have the UI... I typically use two separate war builds.

- Brill

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Jonathan,

--
Erik van Oosten

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Wilhelmsen Tor Iver <To...@arrive.no>.
> Jonathan, can you elaborate? Why do you think jersey is
> better? Have you any experience of integrating it with wicket?

We use Jersey for REST here, mostly because it is Sun's reference
implementation of JAX-RS (and thus will most likely be updated fastest).
As for the options:

* Restlet: Implemented the REST ideas in a custom way before JAX-RS was
specced, spec support seems "crowbared in"
* RestEasy: Is a JBoss project, and there is as always a certain danger
of the "fish hook" that leads you into the rest of the JBoss stack. Now,
we are probably going to use JBoss ESB for some service orchestration,
but their ESB will not support REST-based services (I think only Mule
and ServiceMix do at the moment) until the 5.0 release which is a way
off.
* CXF: Axis and Xfire had a child, but it might be that it ends up as a
bloated mess since they are trying to implement all sorts of services in
one library. We do use it for SOAP services though.

What you need to be aware of is that the JAX-RS spec is purely server
oriented, and each implementation adds its own extension (like client
libraries and proxying, content type support, JAXB/JSON magic etc.) so
you do run the risk of "vendor lock-in" whichever you pick. But can you
really have vendor lock-in over free stuff? :)

Wicket could conceivably be morphed into a top layer to REST services
(human-oriented interaction using forms and resource links), but to work
"seamlessly" you probably end up with some very hairy URL coding
strategies, resource models etc. that could make "wicket-rest" break
Wicket for ordinary MVC purposes if running in the same webapp...

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Casper Bang <ca...@jbr.dk>.
True, but as I said, one does not necessarily exclude the other. In its
current state such a use of Jersey is best suited for low-interactivity,
data-driven applications - but the same could be said for other web
frameworks such as Stripes.

Jersey provides implicit and explicit views through JSP's out of the box:
http://blogs.sun.com/sandoz/entry/mvcj

That's the way I use it, people have plugged in their own template layers.
I'd be interested in a component model such as Wicket on top, which is why I
reacted to this thread. I think there's a broad understanding that the
Wicket model makes programmers happy.

/Casper

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Casper Bang <ca...@jbr.dk>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
restlet is for building services not uis, that quote makes absolutely no sense.

-igor

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet

Posted by Alexandru Objelean <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket and (or) restlet