Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/01/21 18:46:12 UTC

ApacheCon talk topic suggestions

I think that any of the following topics could make for a good talk at
ApacheCon:

* mod_lua
* the new expression eval stuff
* access control, including new syntax
* mod_macro and related "scriptable" configuration thingies
* all of the new/improved proxy stuff
* mod_ssl improvements
* FCGI

I mention this because some of you remember the days when a certain
speaker would do 5 or 6 talks every ApacheCon, and he's going to be kind
of busy this year, and so *isn't* going to submit all of those talks.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: ApacheCon talk topic suggestions

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Kean Johnston <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/21/2014 7:46 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> * FCGI
>>
> If anyone plans of giving a talk about FCGI please let me know. I can't
> attend but have some input (and a new module I am almost done with) that
> may be useful.

Suggestion: Write a blog post with your thoughts and a description of your
in-progress module, then point to it here.

It is very possible that multiple people have submitted a proposal for a
FastCGI talk.  (I have.)  There is a lot to cover potentially, and an
attempt to coordinate coverage might rightfully result in two approved
talks (subject to available slots and other proposals).  But people are
busy and talk submission is mostly a shot in the dark.

I've thought about AC2014 FastCGI coverage requirements in terms of deltas
from one I gave a few years ago (
http://people.apache.org/~trawick/AC2010-FastCGI.pdf).

(off the top of my head)

* definitely need to keep coverage of fcgid config challenges
* mod_proxy_fcgi needs detailed coverage (proxy config and best practices
for process management)
* implications of latest PHP FastCGI implementation
* deploying apps that are written to higher level programming interfaces
(e.g., WSGI) -- when/how to use FastCGI vs. other mechanisms (examples of
these higher level interfaces in different dynamic languages and some
deployment possibilities are covered at
http://people.apache.org/~trawick/AC2012EU-Apps.pdf)
* a couple of small tangents -- not much time, but just to provide exposure
** mod_authnz_fcgi - as motivation, provide an interesting example for
using this to move complex aaa out of httpd processes (yea!)
** mod_fastcgi - actually works with 2.4 but you need to know where to find
the big patch that handles most 2.4 stuff + a few smaller patches that
improve 2.4 compat and fix some other aggravations

I could easily see a broad coverage talk that goes no deeper than basic
configuration and one that covers proxy_fcgi and fcgid issues and
configuration in a fair amount of detail.  (herding cats?)

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: ApacheCon talk topic suggestions

Posted by Kean Johnston <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 01/21/2014 06:54 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com
> <ma...@rcbowen.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think that any of the following topics could make for a good talk
>     at ApacheCon:
>
>     * mod_lua
>     * the new expression eval stuff
>     * access control, including new syntax
>     * mod_macro and related "scriptable" configuration thingies
>     * all of the new/improved proxy stuff
>     * mod_ssl improvements
>     * FCGI
>

> Once I get un-blacklisted (!) by LF I'll propose a couple of talks :(
>
> (Either the e-mail "trawick@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>" or
> both ids "trawick" and "jefftrawick" are blacklisted and the error
> message gives a bogus contact point for trying to resolve it, so I've
> started with webmaster@.  If anyone else is having a similar problem
> registering, I'd love to hear (off-list) that I'm not so special.)

Likewise, I had trouble registering with my @apache.org address, the
registration email never went through :( So I used another domain and it
worked fine then.

Count me in for a talk or two!

With regards,
Daniel

Re: ApacheCon talk topic suggestions

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 01/21/2014 12:54 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Once I get un-blacklisted (!) by LF I'll propose a couple of talks :(
>
> (Either the e-mail "trawick@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>" or
> both ids "trawick" and "jefftrawick" are blacklisted and the error
> message gives a bogus contact point for trying to resolve it, so I've
> started with webmaster@.  If anyone else is having a similar problem
> registering, I'd love to hear (off-list) that I'm not so special.)

I've passed this on to Craig who runs the site. Hopefully he'll take
care of it promptly.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

(Either the e-mail "trawick@gmail.com" or both ids "trawick" and