Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/06 07:06:52 UTC

JMX Remote connection

Hi,

Not sure what's the new policy for loading the Jmx RMI connector.
jk2.properties was a hack - and now that it is removed, I was wandering
if we have any "official" mechanism.

I had a small class that hooked in the connector, and I now refactored
it to a webapp - nothing fancy ( it's not even "trusted" ), only loads
rmiregistry and the jmx connector. I can check it in if there's no other
mechanism, it's very helpfull ( especially with JDK1.4/MX4j - in 5.0
there are the cli options )

Costin

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> No, removing jk2.properties - and removing JkMX - is a good thing.
>
> I'll check in the webapp code, it's easier to talk about code - if
> people don't like it, feel free to -1 :-)

In the same spirit, I think we could imagine having a webapp for dynamic
configuration of java logging.

Rémy

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> For those interested in not wasting their time the way I just did, I
> just found this:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/agent.html
>
> <quote>
> *Limitation*: On Windows, for security reasons, local monitoring and
> management is only supported if your default Windows temporary
> directory is on a file system that supports persistent access control
> lists (for example, on an NTFS file system). It is not supported on a
> FAT file system that provide insufficient access controls.
> </quote>
>
> I obviously use FAT32, and I have to add that this limitation is quite
> stupid. No multi user setup would run FAT and expect security, so you
> are fine allowing anything you want on FAT (at least, I can't see how
> it makes stuff more secure).

Ah...

All my file systems are NTFS...

--
Jess Holle

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Jess Holle wrote:
>
>> In general the same-user, same-machine stuff works great (including
>> with Tomcat 5) if you specify
>>
>>    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
>>
>> as part of the command line.
>
> Again - remember not everyone is using Sun JDK1.5 implementation.
>
> My understanding is Macs don't have 1.5 yet, neither most other
> platforms.

Sorry.  Windows, Solaris, and Linux do, and HPUX will soon.

AIX and Mac OS X will lag as always, though if recent history is any
guide AIX will lag further than Mac OS X.

--
Jess Holle

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Jess Holle wrote:
> In general the same-user, same-machine stuff works great (including with
> Tomcat 5) if you specify
>
>    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
>
> as part of the command line.

Again - remember not everyone is using Sun JDK1.5 implementation.

My understanding is Macs don't have 1.5 yet, neither most other platforms.

> This is without any special web app or such.
>
> What I really want to see is a nice bit of code that allows you to fire
> up a JMX RMI connector that:
>
>    * Finds the first free port in a range (e.g. assuming you have a
>      number of slave processes, this does not apply to Tomcat as it
>      does not have such logic for it AJP port, etc).
>    * Support user/password and SSL
>    * Does not rely on implementation internals, i.e. requiring Java 5
>      is fine, but having hooks into sun.* or MX4J or whatever classes
>      is no good

That's not hard to add. You actually need the first free port in the
range for rmiregistry - or you can use existing rmiregistry if one is
found.

You need different rmi names - that's easier.

Adding user/pass/ssl is not hard - if someone has the itch it shouldn't
be a problem. javax.man.remote has all that's needed AFAIK. IF you look
at jmxremote webapp that I checked in - there is no mx4j or sun code,
just plain javax.

Costin

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Dominik Drzewiecki <dr...@post.pl>.
> I couldn't get the attach to process thing to work, though (= without a
> port). Is it supposed to be doable ?

Neither have I (I am talking of tomcat running as Windows service). It
seems that both processes : tomcat JVM and jconsole JVM have to be owned
by the same user. Maybe that is the case with you? Hovewer, starting
tomcat from my system account solves the problem.
For more info see:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html

<cut>
Both jconsole and the application must by executed by the same user
name. The management and monitoring system uses the operating system's
file permissions.
</cut>

This reminds me of the bug I noticed while I was trying to get it work.
It is impossible to select another account to run tomcat from within the
tomcat service control. Will report it in bugzilla in a jiffie ;)

cheers,
/dd

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Dominik Drzewiecki wrote:
>>

>>> Why don't we dump the JkMX and just settle for the facilities
>>> provided by Java 5 configurable via standard system properties:
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote alone for local JVM monioring
>>>
>>> or
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8004
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
>>> for remote machine monitoring.
>>

> Because they don't work with JDK1.4, and any people (including me)
> can't switch to Java5 since it breaks too much :-)

What are you talking about, it works great ;)

> The option you mention are in fact the same thing with the webapp I'm
> suggesting - they have the effect of loading the standard
> javax.management.remote connector. The difference is that jx.m.r is
> using the standard API and will work with any JMX implementation, while
> "com.sun" is specific to sun's implementation of jmx.

Right, the exact parameter will be proprietary. However, every VM will
have to provide a JMX remote implementation, and I think it's rather
obvious there will be some way to enable it with some option or config file.

>>> I checked both myself with jconsole shipped with Java 5. It works
>>> like a charm (apart from increased CPU Load on the machine the
>>> jconsole runs).
>>> MC4J 1.2 B5 has no problems with attaching to remote JVM either,
>>> hovewer it has some issues with mbeans provided by JVM, MC4J folks
>>> are aware of.
>>>
>>> The bottomline is: consider dumping o.a.jk.c.JkMX (I know, I know
>>> there is number of users wishing to run tomcat on JVM <1.5)
>>>

>> Your post motivated me for trying jconsole, and I have to say it's
>> really good.
>
> Yes, jconsole is the reason I wrote the app too. Plus the fact that
> mx4j2.0 no longer works with jkmx ( they dumped the connector beans from
> distribution since they now support the standard jx.m.r )

I couldn't get the attach to process thing to work, though (= without a
port). Is it supposed to be doable ?

>> As others have said, the problem with JkJMX is that it's annoying to
>> keep it up to date. And when we had it up to date, the JMX client was
>> then rarely up to date. So I'll let you guys decide what do do, but
>> it's sort of obvious the need for that kind of stuff is a lot smaller
>> than what it used to be for Tomcat 5.5.
>>
>> Note: the main reason why I removed jk2.properties is because is has
>> a very confusing name (again referring to mod_jk2); if it's really
>> needed, then it should be renamed, or an alternate name should be
>> allowed.
>

> No, removing jk2.properties - and removing JkMX - is a good thing.
>
> I'll check in the webapp code, it's easier to talk about code - if
> people don't like it, feel free to -1 :-)

+1 for that webapp. Actually, we should include it in the "compat"
package, since that package is for JDK 1.4.

Rémy

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Dominik Drzewiecki <dr...@post.pl>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
>>> Not sure what's the new policy for loading the Jmx RMI connector.
>>> jk2.properties was a hack - and now that it is removed, I was wandering
>>> if we have any "official" mechanism.
>>>

>> At the moment, jk2.properties is still used (we're just not shipping the
>> default one).  It should be possible to configure JkMX via Connector
>> attributes.
>
> I thought JkMX only supports the "old style" connector - not the new
> javax.management.remote, and since jk2.properties is being deprecated I
> assumed JkMX will go as well, or at least move to a higher level.

Yup.  There isn't anything for javax.management.remote (other than the
standard options in 1.5).

> The code in JkMX seems very specific to mx4j - and I couldn't get it
> working with mx4j2.0, the package name changed ( mx4j.adapter.rmi ->
> mx4j.remote.rmi ) and the mechanism didn't seem to work.

The mx4j.remote.rmi isn't included in the bin distro anymore (the source
file is there, but deprecated).

> Can we at least add the JMXConnectionServerFactory as another special case
> ? A separate webapp seemed cleaner.

It's a pain to do via reflection.  The webapp does seem cleaner.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: JMX Remote connection

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.