Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/08/01 06:21:27 UTC

[compress] ZIP64 Branch Merged to trunk

Hi,

after the 1.2 release is out I've merged back the ZIP64 branch, which
means compress' trunk now requires Java5.

Before I merged the branch I created a new one from trunk in case we
ever want to create a Java 1.4 compatible 1.2.1 release.

The current status of ZIP64 support is:

* ZipArchiveInputStream seems to work - I'll hope to find some time on a
  Windows box for some interop tests with Windows' Compressed Folders
  today.

* ZipArchiveOutputStream works except for one case, which is a common
  one, unfortunately: compressing data to a non-seekable output without
  knowing the original size of the data.  I'll likely need some advice
  and will raise that on a separate thread once I've read up on how
  InfoZIP handles this.

As an aside, it turns out that Deflater#getBytesRead is broken and
doesn't return the number of bytes read but rather "number of bytes read
modulo 2^32", at least on Oracle's Java6, so I had to count the bytes
myself and the main reason for the switch to Java5 has become moot.

Stefan