Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Francesco Di Cerbo <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/24 16:10:55 UTC

Request for an Academical Research -- users number

Hi, I'm Francesco Di Cerbo, a Ph.D. student from University of Genoa,
Italy. I'm involved in studying Open Source communities, and I'm
collecting data publicly available on ArgoUML  site to summarize
informations such as
agile methods inside OSS code production, numerical entities of
communities, releases frequency and so on.

I'm writing to this mailing list owners to ask how many people this
mailing list reaches, and, if available, average number of downloads per
release.

Thanks for this informations!

--
Francesco Di Cerbo
http://www.lips.dist.unige.it

Re: Request for an Academical Research -- users number

Posted by Kevin Puetz <pu...@puetzk.org>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Francesco Di Cerbo wrote:
>>
>> I'm writing to this mailing list owners to ask how many people this
>> mailing list reaches, and, if available, average number of downloads
>> per
>> release.
>>

> The users@subversion.tigris.org has about 2000 subscribers, and is a
> list for users to get technical support with Subversion.
>
> The dev@subversion.tigris.org list has about 900 subscribers, and is a
> list for discussing Subversion's development.

I at least, and probably many others, read the mailing lists through gmane
without being directly subscribed. So this is going to be a low count.

> There's nothing measuring the number of downloads.  Most people don't
> download the sourcecode through the Subversion website.  The vast
> majority probably get this software through their OS distribution
> system (e.g. "apt-get", ports tree, fink, etc.)

There was the recent thread "Subversion Public DAV Servers growing
exponentially" (http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-03/0510.shtml) which
had some numbers on public deployments of mod_dav_svn. Not sure what the
sampling method was, but it might be worth checking out.

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200502/apachemods.html?mod=U1ZO

Re: Request for an Academical Research -- users number

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.