Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andy Theuninck <go...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/19 17:00:49 UTC

[users@httpd] [Windows] Help debugging intermittent service start problems

I'm experiencing intermittent problems starting Apache on Windows 10.
I've observed this behavior on approximately 10 different PCs with
various iterations of Apache 2.4 including the latest, 2.4.23. I'm
using x86 binaries from here:
http://www.apachelounge.com/download/VC11/

If the problem occurs on boot then Windows' Services app just shows
Apache2.4 with status "Starting" indefinitely (read: for hours). If
the problem occurs when I've tried to manually start or restart the
service via Windows' Services app I get an error after 60-90 seconds
that says "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or
control request in a timely fashion.". In both cases I can still see
an httpd.exe process running in task manager. Also in both cases
nothing is written to Apache's error log or [as near as I can tell]
Windows' event log.

I have tried killing the service process when this problem is
occurring and manually running "httpd.exe -X" from an elevated command
prompt. When I do this there's a 30-60 second delay then exactly one
line of output that says "Note the errors or messages above, and press
<ESC> key to exit".

Rebooting can fix the problem although sometimes it requires rebooting
multiple times. I don't think I have enough information to file a
useful bug report so I'm really just looking for ideas how I can get
Apache to log or output more information about what might be going
wrong.

Other info: PHP5.6.x is enabled via mod_php. As with Apache I've seen
the same behavior with multiple versions. I am copying the libssh2.dll
that ships with PHP into Apache's bin directory. As far as I can tell
php_curl.dll cannot load without this for PHP 5.4.26+.