Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sgargan <sg...@qualcomm.com> on 2008/05/01 19:12:39 UTC

Re: Dependency injection and Plexus Compilers

Jason,

So I played around with expressions some more to see if I couldn't inject
what was needed. From what I can tell the the expression evaluator is only
applied to Mojos with Expressions in the compiler component being ignored.
Ideally this compiler would leverage the standard compiler plugin (providing
'scons' as the compilerId to have it defer to the scons plexus compiler
instance). If I was to add extra expressions I'd need to extend the compiler
plugin to aggregate them.

Am I missing something? can expressions be used in simple plexus components?
Will I need to extend the compiler plugin to get what I need? Thanks for
your help with this.

rgds,

ste

sgargan wrote:

> To compile some internal linux based projects I'm looking to write a
> simple compiler that creates an scons or waf build file from the compiler
> configuration. I'm hoping to hook the artifacts the script creates back
> into maven so that it can manage them. We have fairly simple build
> requirements this far (i.e. a single platform) and internal knowledge of
> scons, hence this scons approach over something like the NAR or native
> plugins.
>
> I completely agree about coupling the compiler to the project object, I
> didn't like that approach from the beginning. I'll give the expressions
> another try and hopefully that will give me what I need. Thanks for your
> help.
>
> rgds,
>
> ste
>
> Jason van Zyl-2 wrote:
>>

>> On 22-Apr-08, at 4:37 PM, sgargan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've been playing around with developing a simple compiler. Its
>>> coming along
>>> nicely, but for one thing. The configuration that gets passed to the
>>> compiler instance is great, but not as complete as I would like.
>>> Ideally I
>>> would like to have access to the MavenProject object at the compiler
>>> level
>>> in order to grab the little bits of extra information I need. I'm
>>> wondering
>>> if there is any way to have the complier injected with the Maven

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I need to see it, you can send it to me.

On 1-May-08, at 10:12 AM, sgargan wrote:

> Jason,
>
> So I played around with expressions some more to see if I couldn't
> inject
> what was needed. From what I can tell the the expression evaluator
> is only
> applied to Mojos with Expressions in the compiler component being
> ignored.
> Ideally this compiler would leverage the standard compiler plugin
> (providing
> 'scons' as the compilerId to have it defer to the scons plexus
> compiler
> instance). If I was to add extra expressions I'd need to extend the
> compiler
> plugin to aggregate them.
>
> Am I missing something? can expressions be used in simple plexus
> components?
> Will I need to extend the compiler plugin to get what I need? Thanks
> for
> your help with this.
>
> rgds,
>
> ste
>

> sgargan wrote:
>>
>> To compile some internal linux based projects I'm looking to write a
>> simple compiler that creates an scons or waf build file from the
>> compiler
>> configuration. I'm hoping to hook the artifacts the script creates
>> back
>> into maven so that it can manage them. We have fairly simple build
>> requirements this far (i.e. a single platform) and internal
>> knowledge of
>> scons, hence this scons approach over something like the NAR or
>> native
>> plugins.
>>
>> I completely agree about coupling the compiler to the project
>> object, I
>> didn't like that approach from the beginning. I'll give the
>> expressions
>> another try and hopefully that will give me what I need. Thanks for
>> your
>> help.
>>
>> rgds,
>>
>> ste
>>
>> Jason van Zyl-2 wrote:

>>> Coupling the compiler to a MavenProject is probably not a good idea.
>>> Extract what you need using the expressions and pass them into you
>>> component. Even if you are only using Maven it means that no one
>>> else
>>> will be able to use the compiler outside the confines of Maven.
>>>
>>> What kind of compiler are you making? Not similar to what we have
>>> now?

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>>>
>>> -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

-- Paul Graham