Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by GF <ga...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/03 09:28:44 UTC

svn:ignore an existing file

Hello everyone.
I've two question about svn:ignore

1) I've a file that MUST exist in the repository in its "default"
version, but i don't want that people to commit any local change to
it. Is there a way to have this behaviour with svn:ignore?
I mean that with "svn co ..." that file will be checked out as it is
in the repository, but any local change to it will not be included of
any "svn commit ..."

2) If the file i wish to ignore starts with a dot (for example
.myfile) should I use some escaping of the dot in the svn:ignore
property?

Thank You.

RE: svn:ignore an existing file

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851    VAT Reg No 778499447

I think you want this http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

Re: svn:ignore an existing file

Posted by Stein Somers <ss...@opnet.com>.
> 1) I've a file that MUST exist in the repository in its "default"
> version

Then forget svn:ignore - it doesn't apply to versioned files.

You could lock the file in each branch where it occurs, or set the
svn:lock property, to make it more difficult for others to tamper with
it. But in my experience, with TortoiseSVN, people will simply click all
the dialog boxes to steal/grab locks they get. The better resolution is
to stop the temptation to edit such files: offer an alternative or
unversion it.

--
Stein

RE: svn:ignore an existing file

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM, GF <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I've two question about svn:ignore
>
> 1) I've a file that MUST exist in the repository in its "default"
> version, but i don't want that people to commit any local change to
> it. Is there a way to have this behaviour with svn:ignore?
> I mean that with "svn co ..." that file will be checked out as it is
> in the repository, but any local change to it will not be included of
> any "svn commit ..."
>
> 2) If the file i wish to ignore starts with a dot (for example
> .myfile) should I use some escaping of the dot in the svn:ignore
> property?
>

>  GF
>
> You may try out the pre-commit hook + svnlook changed command.
> These might be help !

The real answer here is don't version that file... version a .template of it. Having a file in the working copy that is changed but you can't commit is a thorn in the side of using it. Check out the FAQ.

http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

BOb

Re: svn:ignore an existing file

Posted by Eric Lee <pg...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM, GF <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I've two question about svn:ignore
>
> 1) I've a file that MUST exist in the repository in its "default"
> version, but i don't want that people to commit any local change to
> it. Is there a way to have this behaviour with svn:ignore?
> I mean that with "svn co ..." that file will be checked out as it is
> in the repository, but any local change to it will not be included of
> any "svn commit ..."
>
> 2) If the file i wish to ignore starts with a dot (for example
> .myfile) should I use some escaping of the dot in the svn:ignore
> property?

 GF

You may try out the pre-commit hook + svnlook changed command.
These might be help !

Regards,
Eric,

RE: ignore an existing file