Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Peregrim <da...@hotmail.com> on 2000/12/21 21:18:18 UTC

very basic web server hosting question

This is my first post to this list.  I hope this is somewhere in the
ballpark of acceptable behavior.

I downloaded tomcat and I am successfully running the tomcat web server.  I
wrote java servlets and java server pages and created a web site that I wish
to host from my computer.  The application is fully tested with my computer
running as both the client and server.  I want  to expose my computer to the
internet.  What is the next step to get web browser from another client to
reach my web server?  Do I need some kind of ip address?  How does one get
an ip address?

thanks,
dave peregrim

Re: very basic web server hosting question

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
>  I want  to expose my computer to the internet.

Not for nothing, but if you need to ask that question here, it might be
a very dangerous thing for you to do on your own.

You really might want to park your application with a hosting ISP, like
iMagineIS.com (TomCat and proud of it!).

I have a site there myself as a client, but have no other business
relationship with them.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/

Re: very basic web server hosting question

Posted by John Elia <je...@711.net>.
Is your computer on a cable modem?  or are you a dial up customer?  If your
on a cable modem, it's would be better.  A dial up connection
would be slow, and you would have to stay connected.. and if you get bumped
off, that's down time.  If you have a cable modem, ask your
Service provider for a static IP address.  otherwise, you should host your
page on Geocities.com or something.

Posted by Trevor Little <tl...@hoaglandlongo.com>.
Yes you will need an ip and you can get it from your isp.  You can also
find out your dynamic ip that's assigned to you each time you connect to
the isp and give that out to a client (probably not a good idea since it
changes each time)

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
On 12/22/2000 at 2:49 PM Horia Bochis wrote:
>and what can I take from there, for tomcat to work on my windows?

Sorry, should have mentioned that to start Tomcat standalone,

1. Be sure there is a NT environment variable JAVA_HOME that points to
your JVM (e.g. c:\javasoft\jdk\1.2\bin).
2. Open a DOS window, and change to the bin folder under your Tomcat
directory (e.g. c:\jakarta\tomcat\bin).
3. Run tomcat.bat

By default, Tomcat will answer requests on port 8080 <
http://localhost:8080/ >

The usual default for Web servers is 80, so out of the box it will not
conflict with IIS or Apache.

Depending on what you need to do, you might also be able to let Tomcat
run on 8080 for your servlets, and leave the other CGI on the usual
HTTP port (80). You would only need to hardcode 8080 into the top level
URL, and after that it's automatic.

For integrating Tomcat with Webserver, see <
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/index.html >.

For installing Tomcat under NT, see <
http://jakarta.apache.org/jyve-faq/Turbine/screen/DisplayQuestionAnswer/
action/SetAll/project_id/2/faq_id/12/topic_id/102/question_id/693 >.

Posted by Horia Bochis <ho...@rdsor.ro>.
Well, I have been here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.2.1/bin/win32/i386/

and what can I take from there, for tomcat to work opn my windows?

I allready have SDK installed on my machine.

Can this be implemented with apache? I mean, can those work toghether? I
would like to combine CGI with Servlets ?!

Thanx. :)

Horia Bochis
WebMaster @ Romania Data Systems - Oradea
          HomePage: http://horia.rdsor.ro

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

Posted by Horia Bochis <ho...@rdsor.ro>.
Well, you surely need a static IP address. Try to find a ISP around you
who can provide non-stop Internet link and you will get the IP from him.

Another way is to find a Hosting Service on the web (an affordable one)
which allows this kind of services.