Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu> on 2013/11/28 00:00:51 UTC

Can we use YourKit Java Profiler on our project?

A performance issue has come up and I was wondering if we can use YourKit
on this project? YourKit allows open source projects to use the tool if
they have an acknowledgment/testimonial on project web site.

Hyracks is an example project that uses the tool and has a note on their
page: https://code.google.com/p/hyracks/

Also found an other incubator project with the acknowledgment on their
project: http://incubator.apache.org/drill/drill_overview.html

Can we just follow suit? How does apache view this type of promotion?

Re: Can we use YourKit Java Profiler on our project?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Vinayak Borkar <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember having read some policy some time ago that precluded individual
> projects from placing promotion / advertising on their project pages. All
> ASF endorsements need to go through some higher level entity. It would be
> great to hear from someone who knows more about this. On the other hand, if
> you look at http://tomcat.apache.org/tools.html they list YourKit and other
> products they use...

Thanks for thinking first about the branding issues.  Maybe you're thinking of
this?

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility#independent

    Projects must not endorse or promote the work of third parties, nor allow
    third party influence to affect the future of the project for specific
    outside organizations.

    Note that per-project Thanks and Support pages are allowed to recognize
    specific vendors who have donated services or licenses to the project, or
    who are well-known vendors who provide outside support for the project.
    However these must be factual entries, not advertisements, and must not
    show favoritism to any particular vendor(s). (Note: further details on how
    to structure and manage Thanks and Support pages will be provided)

Other Apache projects use YourKit, but I don't know the details and haven't
personally attempted to navigate the issue.

This is a situation where the markmail.org archives of open source mailing
lists may come in handy.  You can use the prefix the markmail.org domain to
limit the lists it searches.  Try performing a search for 'yourkit' on
<http://apache.markmail.org> and browsing through the emails.

I suggest formulating a plan here as best you can based on information from
past discussions, then presenting it on general@incubator, where there may be
people with direct experience who can critique it more effectively than I can.
(Unless Ant, Jochen, Cezar, or somebody else chimes in.)

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Can we use YourKit Java Profiler on our project?

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vi...@gmail.com>.
I remember having read some policy some time ago that precluded
individual projects from placing promotion / advertising on their
project pages. All ASF endorsements need to go through some higher level
entity. It would be great to hear from someone who knows more about
this. On the other hand, if you look at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tools.html they list YourKit and other products
they use...

Vinayak