Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/08 05:02:58 UTC

Re: Synapse and real time OS

Unless you use the real time concepts within synapse and is optimized to run
on a real time JVM there is no real benefit in using real time java.
Since Synapse (Axis2 and even tomcat) is not written in such a way I don't
think it will give you the results you expect.

Real time in this context means deterministic behaviour (not embeded or fast
as Jaye mentioned).
If you are not using RealTimeThreads, NoHeapRealTimeThreads  and haven't
carefully partitioned your objects in immortal/scope memory, then you cannot
benefit from being unaffected by garbage collection or priority inversion.
My experience with Qpid shows that garbage collection happening at undesired
times really messes up my latency curve.
For example, in a financial environment these latency spikes could result in
a lost trades ..etc

However running your stack on a real time OS will give you some form of
deterministic behaviour which will help.
But still you will be at the mercy of the garbage collector unless you have
written your code to work with real time constructs.

Regards,

Rajith

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat