Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by KONHAWA <fm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/10 18:56:46 UTC

French characters displaying using Tomcat 3.3

Hi to all,
I'm using Tomcat 3.3 for a web application. I deployed
it on Win 2000 and on Linux Mandrake 8.0 and I didn't
faced no problem. But when I deployed it on Debian
Linux, accent characters and other special french
characters did not apear like they shoud.
Is it possible to configure Tomcat so that it could
support a type of character encoding, or it's the OS
whish have to be configured? in any case tell me how
to proceed.
Tanks!

Re: French characters displaying using Tomcat 3.3

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
If you are using Jikes on your Debian system, then this is a known problem
with no other work-around than to use javac.

If you are using javac, then you must make certain that your JSP file has
been saved with the same charset that is specified in your "<%@page
contentType=...%>" directive (or iso-latin-1, if there is no contentType
directive).  Since the JSP-1.1 spec that Tomcat 3.3.x implements doesn't
have the "<%@page pageEncoding=...%>" directive, as an implementation detail
it uses the same encoding as the "contentType" directive.

The intermediate ".java" file (which you can check in the $TOMCAT_HOME/work
directory) will be written using UTF-8 encoding (which is why Jikes fails,
since it can't be told to read UTF-8).  Javac will be instructed to compile
the file as UTF-8, so everything should work from here.

Hopefully, there is enough information here to allow you to pin down at what
stage the encoding is breaking.