Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by "mail@felixguntrum.de" <ma...@felixguntrum.de> on 2004/02/02 19:50:42 UTC

confusion about PORTLET_SCOPE and APPLICATION_SCOPE Portlet Spec??

hi,
either there is a confusion about PORTLET_SCOPE and APPLICATION_SCOPE in
the portlet-spec, or I misinterpret the following section.

PortletSpec, PLT.15.3 Binding Attributes into a Session, page 62, line 13ff:

"..Objects stored in the session using the PORTLET_SCOPE must be
available to the portlet
during requests for the same portlet window that the objects where
stored from. The
object must be stored in the APPLICATION_SCOPE with the following
fabricated attribute
name ‘javax.portlet.p.<ID>?<ATTRIBUTE_NAME>’. <ID> is a unique
identification for
the portlet window (assigned by the portal/portlet-container) that must
not contain a ‘?’
character. <ATTRIBUTE_NAME> is the attribute name used to set the object
in the
PORTLET_SCOPE of the portlet session..."

I think the word "APPLICATION_SCOPE" should be exchanged with
"PORTLET_SCOPE".

If I debug my application, attributes in the PORTLET_SCOPE are prefixed
with "javax.portlet.p.<ID>?", attributes in the APPLICATION_SCOPE are
not prefixed.

I think this makes sense and there is a "copy and paste" error in the spec.

Please correct me if I´m not right.

Cheers,
Felix

Re: confusion about PORTLET_SCOPE and APPLICATION_SCOPE Portlet Spec??

Posted by "mail@felixguntrum.de" <ma...@felixguntrum.de>.
ok, you are right, this is a distinction without a difference .. the
definition depends on the perception. i´m not shure, but in "the
traditional wold of web-components" (like servlets), you dont have a
distinction between different scopes; everything is "application scope".

against this background, you can say: "The (portlet-scope)-object must
be stored in the _APPLICATION_SCOPE_ with the following fabricated
attribute .."

out of the view of the "portlet-world", i think it is more precisely to
say: "The (portlet-scope)-object must be stored in the _Session_ with
the following fabricated attribute .."

that´s what i want to express with my annotation, but that´s "splitting
hairs" ;)

cheers,
felix

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.