Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/20 19:11:21 UTC

[UX] Questions for users

Hi.

My paticipation on UX. :-)

We can prepare question for end users. Which country you are?; How old is
it?; What do you use most: calc, write, impress, math ... ?; Doing reserch
and they use the AOO; What you wish for improvements, and others.

These questions can't take 2-4 minutes.

We'll have statistics for future versions and improvements.

My U$ 0,002 cs

Albino

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/23 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>

> 2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>
>  > Scaled response and open response questions are always better in terms
> of
> > data
> > that is dealing with aesthetics and feelings.  The art with these answers
> > is
> > in the interpretation.  A Yes/no response to a question is not an answer
> > it's
> > a vote and a sign of lazy Poll design.  We don't need to do that, we
> don't
> > have department heads breathing down our necks and waving deadlines under
> > our
> > noses so as there is no pressure, our Survey design should be tops.
> >

> Indeed. Yet, Scaled questions should have a odd number of choices and
> should be used for quantification. Five is a fair number, in my view. Open
> questions should be used for qualification. They are harder to plot.
>

> > What I would like to be able to do is to design a survey, collate the
> data,
> > make a decision based on that data, publish it and then be able to point
> > directly at a feature or design element that we can say was due to
> feedback
> > from the survey.  This gives our surveys gravitas with users and we are
> > more
> > likely to get quality responses to later surveys.
> >

> This could be usefull to show users that their wishes are being heard,
> discussed and can be implemented in the software someway.

The questions will cover that too.

The intent of the questionnaires are to be used (also) in the future of
AOO. And they will be translated into appropriate languages.

Those who want to create user focus questions are welcome.

Albino

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>

> > On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Albino Biasutti Neto
> >
> > <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > > Hi.

> > > Sorry, thanks.

> home,
> support?
> > >
> > > Good!
> > >
> > > Open to suggestions. :-)
> > >
> > > Albino
> >
> > Where will these questions be asked? During the download process? During
> > the registration process? A poll on the web site?
> >
> > -Wolf
> >
> > PS Website polls 1 to 2 question open-ended questions (questions without
> > set choice of answers) have been known to produce very useful data-sets
> > among users of public library services, and I would suggest that model as
> > an interesting way to find out our own blind spots, regarding usage
> trends.
> > Closed-end questions such as "do you like seagulls" can only get 3
>
> Scaled response and open response questions are always better in terms of
> data
> that is dealing with aesthetics and feelings.  The art with these answers
> is
> in the interpretation.  A Yes/no response to a question is not an answer
> it's
> a vote and a sign of lazy Poll design.  We don't need to do that, we don't
> have department heads breathing down our necks and waving deadlines under
> our
> noses so as there is no pressure, our Survey design should be tops.

Indeed. Yet, Scaled questions should have a odd number of choices and
should be used for quantification. Five is a fair number, in my view. Open
questions should be used for qualification. They are harder to plot.

> What I would like to be able to do is to design a survey, collate the data,
> make a decision based on that data, publish it and then be able to point
> directly at a feature or design element that we can say was due to feedback
> from the survey.  This gives our surveys gravitas with users and we are
> more
> likely to get quality responses to later surveys.

This could be usefull to show users that their wishes are being heard,
discussed and can be implemented in the software someway.

> Cheers
> GL

Cheers.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
http://almalivre.wordpress.com

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

On May 25, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Kevin Grignon
> <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> Great thread, many great research questions in here.
>>
>> Overall, we are moving in the right direction. We need to understand who
>> uses AOO, and what they use it for. What works, what doesn't . Context of
>> use, when and where is also important.
>>

> I bet almost all of our users (> 95%) are using OpenOffice as a
> Microsoft Office substitute.   So their expectations and tasks are
> highly influenced by the feature set and UI of Microsoft Office.   But
> not necessarily the latest version of MS Office.  There is a lag.  So
> Office 2003 might be more influential in expectations than the
> "ribbon" UI of Office 2007 and later.  But this will shift over time.
>
> There have been various attempts to re-imagine the basic editors, some
> more successful than others.  Lotus tried with its Improv application
> to take the spreadsheet to the next level.   Some users got it, but
> the network effect of 1-2-3 (and later Excel) compatibility was too
> great.   This is a huge effect in this market.  The value of user
> training in the predominate editors as well the benefits of
> interoperability with other editors that have a very similar feature
> set -- these factors conspire to keep us in a narrow orbit around a
> conventional view of personal productivity apps.
>
> That said, it is possible to be bold and strike gold.  Prezi and their
> unique view of a presentation is one example:  http://prezi.com/.   In
> such cases the new feature set might be intrinsically so valuable to
> the user that it more than compensates for the learning curve and
> lower interop with other editors.  They re-base their expectations on
> the new thing, and that defines the new normal.
>
> So that is something we'll need to figure out:  What relative
> attention should we give to:
>
> 1) improving the conventional set of features we already have in AOO?
>
> 2) Adding new features to achieve greater parity with MS Office?
>
> 3) Being bold and adding new features that don't exist anywhere else?
>
> If you survey users, I bet you won't get many requests for #3.  And if
> you queried users the day before the electronic spreadsheet was
> invented no user would have asked for one either.
>
> -Rob

KG02 says:

Rob, thanks for sharing you thoughts. Some good historical considerations here.

Agreed, we need to understand our users stated and unstated needs. Herein lies the opportunity for design leadership. Any research should seek to balance exploitation (incremental enhancements) and exploration (break through innovation).

Let's get started.

Kevin

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
	Hi Rob,

On 24.05.2012 20:42, Rob Weir wrote:
[..]

> That said, it is possible to be bold and strike gold.  Prezi and their
> unique view of a presentation is one example:  http://prezi.com/.   In
> such cases the new feature set might be intrinsically so valuable to
> the user that it more than compensates for the learning curve and
> lower interop with other editors.  They re-base their expectations on
> the new thing, and that defines the new normal.

Wow! I looked at Prezi and it's very fascinating to me; not the
presentation itself (as a mass product we will have no chance go move
away from the slide paradigm), but the UI stuff. Have you seen their
object manipulator when they have an object selected? A very interesting
alternative to the green handles :-) Also their circle-based menu is
intuitive, cool and seems very easily being adapted by any user. That's
an interesting direction to go!

[..]

Sincerely,
	Armin
--
ALG

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/24 Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>

> Hey All,
>
> Great thread, many great research questions in here.
>
> Overall, we are moving in the right direction. We need to understand who
> uses AOO, and what they use it for. What works, what doesn't . Context of
> use, when and where is also important.
>
> Let's move the conversation to the UX wiki, and capture some our research
> question candidates.
>
> Also, let's look at previous research efforts to help us quickly build a
> strong survey. Sun, Oracle, IBM and the OO community have performed user
> research in the past. Let's leverage this content, where possible.
>
> In addition to a capturing a series of research questions, let's capture
> our thoughts in the UX wiki on our research strategy. Beyond email list and
> forums, we may want to consider how we might use social media channels to
> drive traffic to the user research questions.
>
> Finally, let's think about how we take the output of the research data and
> turn the data into UX work products that will help drive informed design
> and development decisions. Harvesting data to create user roles and usage
> scenarios would be a logical start.
>
> I volunteer to create some UX wiki pages to help capture this content.

+1

Albino

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree with Kevin. We need to understand who uses AOO,and their use
scenario or story.

User research work is very good and also important to us to know users and
improve the product. Let's work together in UX wiki and start exploration.
:)

--
Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hey All,

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.
> +1 for your thoughts.
>
> 2012/5/21 Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>
>
> > > Hi.

> > > We. :)
> > >
> > > Albino
> >
> > First off we need to figure what we want to learn, just asking random
> > questions is no way to endear us to our users.
>
> Totally agree. We need know the goal we ask this kind of questions.
>
> > We used to have a survey that the user connected to when s/he selected "I
> > want
> > to register" during install.  That survey, set up by SUN, was very
> > comprehensive.
> > It had a couple of problems:
> > One was that it was just an information gathering exercise there seemed
> > to be
> > no real goal other than that.
> >
> > Second was that it took too long to fill in, around 45 minutes.
> >
> >  Consequently
> >
> > very actually completed it.  I did the numbers on it a few years back but
> > unfortunately I can't find them.  Suffice to say it was miniscule,
> > insufficient to be a reasonable sample.
> >
> > So therefore, any survey should have:
> >
> > 1) A specific goal such as: to guide marketing as to untapped target
> > markets
> > or perhaps to answer a specific UX question.  In other words the data
> > gathered
> > should be used to guide specific decisions
> >
> > 2) the survey participants should be told what the survey is about and
> > how their participation will affect the product.
> >
> > 3) An approximate completion time but no more than 10 minutes and as
> > close to
> > 5 as feasible.
> >
> > We also need to identify the target audience and how we approach that
> > audience.
> >
> > So question one:  What issue needs discussing right now and why.
> >
> > My first response to this would be Aesthetics.  A common complaint that
> > we have had is that the interface looks something from Win 2000 period.
> >
> > At first glance they are right.  Buttons look clunky, the 3D depression
> > with
> > dark gray background does look old.  Symphony by comparison has a light
> > background behind the buttons on mouse over and a quite thin emboss on
> > click.
> > It looks lighter and fresher.  Good job symphony team.
> >
> > We could put up a set of UI designs or themes and survey our users
> > feelings about them.
> >
> > What else could we usefully ask about?
>
> Personally I think one plug-in etc can help collecting user behavior  to
> offer more user experience/behavior analysis maybe is one good choice. But
> it is out of this topic scope..

OK, here's a question:  I'd like to know if users would like the option to be
able to "Skin" their AOO interface

The other question that arises from this from developers/artists point of

For instance, would it be possible to code up an application similar to a
WYSIWYG webeditor like Kompozer, in which you could design a skin for your AOO
interface and then that application would generate an extension that would
allow the user to download the skin from the extensions repository and thus
change the look and feel of their interface.

(I'm not making a case that this would be a good use of projects resources at
this point, just asking the question as to the possibility)

I ask because I am mindful of the difference of the freshness in the look
between OOo and Symphony and our users have made this point over a fairly
substantial amount of time.

cheers
GL

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, there was a problem in the browser!

Hi.

2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>

> Sorry, I'm not understanding.
> Have you prepared some questions or
>
> are you preparing some questions and
>
> what sort of details are we talking about.

I'm preparing some questions, the detalis is of questions.

> > Suggetion of site for creates questions:
> >
> > doodle.com
> > survey.usability-methods.com
> >
> > Open to suggestions !
>
> I have a lime survey setup on a webhost that we can use also which will
> give
> us plenty of flexibility
>
> We also need to identify our respondents and figure out a way to get the
> survey in front of them.

Good.

2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>

> OK, here's a question:  I'd like to know if users would like the option to
> be
> able to "Skin" their AOO interface
>
> The other question that arises from this from developers/artists point of
> AOO.

Question go around.

> For instance, would it be possible to code up an application similar to a
> WYSIWYG webeditor like Kompozer, in which you could design a skin for your
> AOO
> interface and then that application would generate an extension that would
> allow the user to download the skin from the extensions repository and thus
> change the look and feel of their interface.
>
> (I'm not making a case that this would be a good use of projects resources
> at
> this point, just asking the question as to the possibility)
>
> I ask because I am mindful of the difference of the freshness in the look
> between OOo and Symphony and our users have made this point over a fairly
> substantial amount of time.

Thank Graham

Albino

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>

> Sorry, I'm not understanding.
> Have you prepared some questions or
>
> are you preparing some questions and
>
> what sort of details are we talking about.

I'm preparing some questions, the detalis is of questions.

> > Suggetion of site for creates questions:
> >
> > doodle.com
> > survey.usability-methods.com
> >
> > Open to suggestions !
>
> I have a lime survey setup on a webhost that we can use also which will
> give
> us plenty of flexibility
>
> We also need to identify our respondents and figure out a way to get the
> survey in front of them.

Good.

2012/5/23 Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>

> OK, here's a question:  I'd like to know if users would like the option to
> be
> able to "Skin" their AOO interface
>
> The other question that arises from this from developers/artists point of
> AOO.

Question

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/21 Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>
>
> > First off we need to figure what we want to learn, just asking random
> > questions is no way to endear us to our users.
> >
> > We used to have a survey that the user connected to when s/he selected "I
> > want
> > to register" during install.  That survey, set up by SUN, was very
> > comprehensive.
> > It had a couple of problems:
> > One was that it was just an information gathering exercise there seemed
> > to be
> > no real goal other than that.
> >
> > Second was that it took too long to fill in, around 45 minutes.
> >
> >  Consequently
> >
> > very actually completed it.  I did the numbers on it a few years back but
> > unfortunately I can't find them.  Suffice to say it was miniscule,
> > insufficient to be a reasonable sample.
> >
> > So therefore, any survey should have:
> >
> > 1) A specific goal such as: to guide marketing as to untapped target
> > markets
> > or perhaps to answer a specific UX question.  In other words the data
> > gathered
> > should be used to guide specific decisions
> >
> > 2) the survey participants should be told what the survey is about and
> > how their participation will affect the product.
> >
> > 3) An approximate completion time but no more than 10 minutes and as
> > close to
> > 5 as feasible.
>
> I informed about the scope the research, but must be prepared.
>
> > We also need to identify the target audience and how we approach that
> > audience.
> >
> > So question one:  What issue needs discussing right now and why.
> >
> > My first response to this would be Aesthetics.  A common complaint that
> > we have had is that the interface looks something from Win 2000 period.
> >
> > At first glance they are right.  Buttons look clunky, the 3D depression
> > with
> > dark gray background does look old.  Symphony by comparison has a light
> > background behind the buttons on mouse over and a quite thin emboss on
> > click.
> > It looks lighter and fresher.  Good job symphony team.
> >
> > We could put up a set of UI designs or themes and survey our users
> > feelings about them.
> >
> > What else could we usefully ask about?
>
> I'm prepared questions and details.

Sorry, I'm not understanding.
Have you prepared some questions or

are you preparing some questions and

what sort of details are we talking about.

> Suggetion of site for creates questions:
>
> doodle.com
> survey.usability-methods.com
>
> Open to suggestions !

I have a lime survey setup on a webhost that we can use also which will give
us plenty of flexibility

We also need to identify our respondents and figure out a way to get the
survey in front of them.

> Albino

Cheers
GL

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 for your thoughts.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/21 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>

> 2012/5/21 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > 2012/5/20 Raul Pacheco da Silva <ra...@gmail.com>
> >
> > > Yes, like others softwares and  questions in free internet
> > >

> > > U2es,012/5/20 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>

> > Yes.
> >
> > Let's go ?!
> >
> > Who wants to also create questions feel free.
> >
> > Albino
> >

> You?

We. :)

Albino

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/21 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>

> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/20 Raul Pacheco da Silva <ra...@gmail.com>
>
> > Yes, like others softwares and  questions in free internet
> >

> > U2es,012/5/20 Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>
> >
> > > This could be done in the wiki.
> >

> Yes.
>
> Let's go ?!
>
> Who wants to also create questions feel free.
>
> Albino

You?

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Raul Pacheco da Silva <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Raul Pacheco da Silva

Fone (11) 8536-6340
Skipe: raulpachecodasilva
Messenger: rps_8@hotmail.com
Suzano - SP

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: [UX] Questions for users

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/20 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>

> Hi.

Hi

> My paticipation on UX. :-)
>
> We can prepare question for end users. Which country you are?; How old is
> it?; What do you use most: calc, write, impress, math ... ?; Doing reserch
> and they use the AOO; What you wish for improvements, and others.

I think you mean "How old are you?" =)

Maybe we could contribute to improve those questions. My 2 cents:

Are you using it at your work (ask where does he/she work) or at home, or
both?
Do you think you have enough support? Where do you use to get support?
(manuals, friends, forum, mailing lists, etc)

Rgds