Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Noble 3D Printers, LLC" <ay...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/08 00:08:33 UTC

Newbie question: PDF, CMYK to CMY+White for 3D Printing

Hello All!
Forgive me if this is the wrong protocol to follow for asking a question in
this forum.
I'm building a 3D printer using a standard inkjet printer that uses the
CMYK color space. I want the slicing program that sends the files to be
printed by my 3D printer to send those files as PDF's.
Here is my problem: I want my printer to print in full color. To facilitate
that function, I need to convert the CMYK color space to CMY, this will
give me "psuedo" full color with black being produced by the combination of
the CMY channels, but I also need to print white ink because there isn't
paper to provide the white color channel. Is this conversion of the CMYK
color space into CMY+White color space possible in the PDF file format, or
am I looking in the wrong place to facilitate this custom conversion of
color spaces?
Any help, suggestions or advice would be highly appreciated!
Thank you everyone!

Re: Newbie question: PDF, CMYK to CMY+White for 3D Printing

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 08.01.2017 um 01:08 schrieb Noble 3D Printers, LLC:
> Hello All!
> Forgive me if this is the wrong protocol to follow for asking a question in
> this forum.
> I'm building a 3D printer using a standard inkjet printer that uses the
> CMYK color space. I want the slicing program that sends the files to be
> printed by my 3D printer to send those files as PDF's.
> Here is my problem: I want my printer to print in full color. To facilitate
> that function, I need to convert the CMYK color space to CMY, this will
> give me "psuedo" full color with black being produced by the combination of
> the CMY channels, but I also need to print white ink because there isn't
> paper to provide the white color channel. Is this conversion of the CMYK
> color space into CMY+White color space possible in the PDF file format, or
> am I looking in the wrong place to facilitate this custom conversion of
> color spaces?
> Any help, suggestions or advice would be highly appreciated!
> Thank you everyone!

That's rather a general PDF question and not a PDFBox question.

You could create your own colorspace with DeviceN (see 8.6.6.5 DeviceN
Colour Spaces in the PDF specification), that one allows you to combine
base colors.

However it would be your job to create such a PDF, i.e. to do the
conversion from CMYK to that CMYW.

Tilman