Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Colleen Dick <pl...@peak.org> on 2006/05/04 03:57:31 UTC

Re: Free Thawte Email cert & Firefox

You can go to thawte
and sign up for a free personal email certificicate.  So I filled
out all the forms and was going right along... then I click the link to
down load it or what ever you're
supposed to do and nothing apparently happens.  There are instructions
on the site to hook it up with Outlook Express and Netscape and MSIE
but nothing for Firefox.  I signed up for a Mozilla type certificate but
I don't know what to do after that.  Has anyone made it work with
FF/TBird?   I'm perfectly OK with going in under the hood and "doing
stuff" like renaming files, moving them to the appropriate directory, or
editing config files, but
I don't have a recipe for this and haven't located one.  Surely they
must have Firefox users!!

Re: Free Thawte Email cert & Firefox

Posted by Shane Petroff <sh...@mayet.ca>.
Colleen Dick wrote:
> You can go to thawte
> and sign up for a free personal email certificicate.  So I filled
> out all the forms and was going right along... then I click the link to
> down load it or what ever you're
> supposed to do and nothing apparently happens.

I'm assuming that the subversion users cc was a mistake. However, since
I'm feeling rather stupid concerning my own subversion problems I
suppose I should be charitable here :)

Just follow the Netscape instructions. 'Nothing' is supposed to happen,
or rather it all happens under the hood (this is mentioned in the docs
somewhere). To see that the cert has already been imported into Firefox
just look at tools/options/advanced/security/view_certificates. To use
it in tbird you have to export it from ff to pkcs12 then import.
Annoying, but it's not exactly difficult.

--
Shane